Author Topic: Holding work in pillar drill....  (Read 2325 times)

Offline ChrisF

• gold
Holding work in pillar drill....
« on: June 19, 2017, 09:09:06 AM »
Got myself a pillar drill yesterday (thanks for the help Fuzzyturns).  One thing I want to use it for is drilling large(ish) holes in the endgrain of branchwood.  I'm looking at about 1.5" holes into about 3" diameter pieces which are about 4" tall.  These will be bark-on so I want to find a way of holding them that won't damage the exterior, so a vice is probably out of the question.  How would you do it?  Is there any reason why one of these would not be suitable? www.amazon.co.uk/Bessey-BESBAN700-BAN700-Band-Clamp/dp/B000JLSNGI

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: Holding work in pillar drill....
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 10:00:20 AM »
Chris,

reading your question the first thing that went through my mind was a band clamp, either what you've identified or a homemade one. The issue will be the diameter of the hole you want, the torque will be quite high, so holding it might be harder than you'd be happy to hold (yes you could until the first one got away from you).

Which is why I'd sit and thing about finding some way to hold it in something connected to the drill table.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2017, 10:49:17 AM »
Because of the nature of what you are trying to drill then why not make it over length and hold securely in the vice and cut the damaged portion off after wards. That way means you can cut two flats on the waste part which would give a better grip. Or just make a tenon and do it on the lathe less waste

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 11:28:25 AM »
Why not just do it on the lathe

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline ChrisF

• gold
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2017, 11:50:43 AM »
Thanks all. 

On the lathe - hole will not necessarily, or even often, be concentric to the workpiece so more straightforward to use the drill if I can work out how to safely hold it.

Oversize in a drill vice - yes, like that....so simple I'm a bit annoyed I didn't think of it!

Ta

Offline Redtails3

• copper
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2017, 12:05:18 PM »
Hi
You could make yourself a big vee block made of timber (no marks) to suit whatever you are drilling.
The clamp could be any thing from a g clamp to another vee block cut off the piece at the back using a couple of clamps .
 Hope this helps ???
                                     Redtails

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2017, 09:30:36 AM »
Chris I would make up 2 "V" blocks and cramp them either side of the workpiece, less likely to damage the bark that way. I would also drill a small pilot hole as sometimes it allows a forstner bit (I assume you will be using something similar) to penetrate the wood. I would also look at a way to cramp the whole assembly to the pillar drill, not only is that a safer option but it will also allow you to get 2 hands on.

Offline Redtails3

• copper
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2017, 10:50:58 AM »
Hi
Great minds think alike eh?
                                                  Redtails