General Category > General Discussion

BUYING EQUIPMENT

<< < (3/4) > >>

BOB A JOB:

--- Quote from: dr4g0nfly on February 01, 2012, 07:12:26 PM ---
--- Quote from: BOB A JOB on February 01, 2012, 05:51:52 PM --- using a screwdriver/rod as a sort of stethoscope thingy and listen for any rumblings.
--- End quote ---

Yep, that's known as an Acoustic Stethoscope.

Have you yet found someone nearby to help you, club or other turner?

--- End quote ---
There is an AWGB branch about an hour+ drive away which is not a problem but, the meetings are  on Tuesday and Saturday. Tuesday I sing in a Male Voice Choir and, every other Saturday I'm involved in a home match for our local rugby club. (Vice President - too old to play now !). Would be nice to find a local on here to help out. Any offers ?
Regards,
Bob.  :)

admalin:
Hi again

Surprisingly it is possible to overgrease bearings, so be careful.

Tony Malin

thebowlerhattedturner:
Hi Bob,
          very smooth and quiet is what you want in a lathe and Graduates are among the best for this. If the bearings are going you WILL hear it.So I think you have nothing to worry about. I doubt very much that you are the only chap in your area turning, try sticking an advert in the freebie column of your local rag, or if there is no club nearby how about starting one? As a member of the AWGB you can now apply to do a course to aid your development and this may help to re-inforce confidence with your machine.
Regards
JohnBHT

BOB A JOB:

--- Quote from: thebowlerhattedturner on February 02, 2012, 02:54:14 PM ---         I doubt very much that you are the only chap in your area turning, try sticking an advert in the freebie column of your local rag, or if there is no club nearby how about starting one? As a member of the AWGB you can now apply to do a course to aid your development and this may help to re-inforce confidence with your machine.
Regards
JohnBHT

--- End quote ---

John,

I like the idea of setting up a club in the East Kent area I wonder what the interest would be locally ?
Could always contact that old boy down at Stiles & Bates, Dover.
Now was the old boy called - Dave ?  ;)

He might help. :-*

Many thanks.

Bob.

Bryan Milham:
Bob,

I've just sent you a Private Mail (PM) of a turning contact who lives not far from you.

Hope it works out all right for you,

Dr4g0nfly

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version