Author Topic: Oak Burl Plaque  (Read 5498 times)

Offline bernuk1

• bronze
Oak Burl Plaque
« on: July 15, 2017, 02:34:33 PM »
This piece is still on lathe.I put some colour on it and the 'Home Jury' saw it and expressed some concerns,so I thought I'd post it and see what I got :-)
Looking for CC's please.

Mike.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: Oak Burl Plaque
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2017, 03:48:13 PM »
I like the natural colour and the darker colour near the rim, but the yellowish colour on the inner ring doesn't work for me.

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline bernuk1

• bronze
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2017, 04:03:40 PM »
I like the natural colour and the darker colour near the rim, but the yellowish colour on the inner ring doesn't work for me.

Les

Diolch Les,that helps :-)

Mike

Offline ken rodgers

• bronze
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2017, 04:24:25 PM »
Hi Mike,
I agree with Les on this one.
The yellow inner ring need to be a stronger colour to make it stand out from the rest of the wood.
I would prefer the centre bowl section to be left natural (ie no staining).
Could I suggest that the inner ring be re-cut to a bead then stained and afterwards put a narrow grove each side of it to give it definition.
Regards
Ken

Offline bernuk1

• bronze
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2017, 04:37:03 PM »
Hi Mike,
I agree with Les on this one.
The yellow inner ring need to be a stronger colour to make it stand out from the rest of the wood.
I would prefer the centre bowl section to be left natural (ie no staining).
Could I suggest that the inner ring be re-cut to a bead then stained and afterwards put a narrow grove each side of it to give it definition.
Regards
Ken

Thx Ken,your suggestion is on the lines I've been thinking along with darkening-I'll put in't pot and see what comes out in a day or so.
regards,
Mike

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2017, 04:52:33 PM »

Afraid got to disagree with the other comments as we like very light coloured stains that enable the wood to show through
  especially on Burrs... maybe a few definition lines would help to give it more lift.
  Kind Regards Tony Di
"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline bernuk1

• bronze
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2017, 05:01:45 PM »

Afraid got to disagree with the other comments as we like very light coloured stains that enable the wood to show through
  especially on Burrs... maybe a few definition lines would help to give it more lift.
  Kind Regards Tony Di

Well,that's put cat amongst pigeons eh ;D   Thx Tony Di, the lighter colour was for the reason you said,maybe a bijou tingette of burnt orange may just change hue enough + a couple of lines.
Regards,
Mike

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2017, 06:15:14 PM »
I would prefer the definition between the different sections to be more defined, the colours are not dramatically different so seem to fade into one another, that may be just the photograph though. Like that fact that you haven't obliterated the graining and burr features.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2017, 08:50:32 PM »
I sort of like this, but cannot help but think it's missing something, another ring or part ring off centre to add an interest point.

Or maybe it's just me being spoilt having seen so many with just that feature that I now expect to see it.

Not withstanding that, it looks well enough turned. You don't give dimensions so i'm guessing 14" to 16" diameter which I bet was fun to have whirling around on the lathe.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline bernuk1

• bronze
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2017, 09:29:49 PM »
I sort of like this, but cannot help but think it's missing something, another ring or part ring off centre to add an interest point.

Or maybe it's just me being spoilt having seen so many with just that feature that I now expect to see it.

Not withstanding that, it looks well enough turned. You don't give dimensions so i'm guessing 14" to 16" diameter which I bet was fun to have whirling around on the lathe.

Thx for your crit-I have to agree with you,and this is why I've posted it at this stage-something (I don't know what yet) will be done tomorrow. 14" is the max dimension,and as it was my first burl it was definitely fun,scarey fun.but fun.

Offline bernuk1

• bronze
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2017, 10:01:21 PM »
I would prefer the definition between the different sections to be more defined, the colours are not dramatically different so seem to fade into one another, that may be just the photograph though. Like that fact that you haven't obliterated the graining and burr features.

Pete

Thx for your crit Pete-the yellow (flame) does seem to be more evident in pic than it is visually,there's probably an explantion about the actinic properties of the yellow stain lol. I'm looking at it again in morn and will try to address some issues.

Mike.

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2017, 09:07:00 AM »
I think I am with Tony and Di on this one, although there is something to be said for marking the boundaries between the colours a bit stronger (burnt lines?).

Offline bernuk1

• bronze
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2017, 10:36:09 AM »
I think I am with Tony and Di on this one, although there is something to be said for marking the boundaries between the colours a bit stronger (burnt lines?).

Thx for your comment-I've just now removed the yellow from centre ring and added 2 defining lines-I think that does the trick.
Will post pic when it's finished.

Mike

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2017, 08:18:27 PM »
Andy Coates should be the one to comment on this as he is a Master at colouring burrs. try and find some of his you tube videos for inspiration.

Offline bernuk1

• bronze
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2017, 10:21:33 AM »
Andy Coates should be the one to comment on this as he is a Master at colouring burrs. try and find some of his you tube videos for inspiration.

Thx for that,I'll follow it up.

Mike