Author Topic: What sells  (Read 4237 times)

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
What sells
« on: July 22, 2017, 08:01:01 PM »
Just something for discussion

It was interesting that at the last show we did we sold a number of pieces that received no comments or very few on here. I have said elsewhere that if we are trying to earn a living or at least sell our work we need to make things that appeal to the public not just other turners. One sale involved a disagreement in price where the customer told us we weren't charging enough and insisted on paying more. We have been re-assessing our prices this year and upping most and it seems to work if the shows so far this year are anything to go by. We expected sales to be down generally with the economic situation but so far it has been the opposite. Be interesting to see how others are fairing and whether this trend will continue this year.

Pete
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 08:39:21 PM by bodrighywood »
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
Re: What sells
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2017, 08:48:50 PM »
Can't really comment, as I am not doing any shows this year. We moved house a few months ago, and are now busy with modernisation and renovation.
Having said that. from what I heard from fellow traders, last year was about the worst they've had in a long time, so it's not really a big surprise that this year is better.

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2017, 09:26:48 PM »
i only do one fair a year at eton college and every year seem to make about £300 on the day. as far as my skittles sales go it varies year to year but i hope for at least 50 customers per season.

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2017, 08:27:54 AM »
Pete, now I don't know if it is anything to do with it but since the vote to leave the EU I have found sales have increased. For the first time in many years now I am struggling to keep stock levels up. I have also had slightly more commercial work come in too. And daft it may seem but one of my best sellers is still door wedges, I can't keep up with demand and yes they may not be the most enjoyable or beautiful piece to make but they make the difference between Chateau neuf du Pape or Chateau Lafitte!! ;D ;D ;D

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2017, 09:08:21 AM »
I am finding the same John, opposite to wht I would have expected. No complaints though LOL.

Pete

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2017, 11:49:14 PM »
as far as my skittles sales go it varies year to year but i hope for at least 50 customers per season.
Are you referring to table skittles?  I made a few table skittles games and have found little interest from the buying public. A neigborhood family with two young lads gave me some wood so I gave them a skittles game, the little ones just loved it and play with it a lot, plus they are learning to add numbers too.

i've not made many table skittles sets as they are not as popular as they used to be but you can see my main business here.
http://steveswoodenskittles.co.uk/index.html

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2017, 11:50:02 PM »
if sales are going up we'd better make hay while the sun shines.

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2017, 08:35:55 AM »
i've not made many table skittles sets as they are not as popular as they used to be but you can see my main business here.
http://steveswoodenskittles.co.uk/index.html
Thanks for the link. I'm made one set of skittles and a ball many years ago for a young grandson, recently I was asked to make a larger set for use on the grass. Maybe there is a niche market here for some skittles sets here in Alberta. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Don't paint them green!! ;D ;D ;D

Offline crazylegs

• bronze
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2017, 06:45:24 PM »
the bowler hatted gentleman, where abouts are you? I am in Pewsey.
never try to be better than others just better than you were yesterday.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2017, 07:29:51 PM »
the bowler hatted gentleman, where abouts are you? I am in Pewsey.

Not far from me, I am in Bromham. 

Pete

Offline crazylegs

• bronze
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2017, 08:07:01 PM »
Any exhibitions/shows coming up?
Might have to sign up for a bit of tuition!!!
never try to be better than others just better than you were yesterday.

• platinum
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2017, 09:18:59 PM »
Crazylegs I am in Trowbridge, always happy to discuss lessons or whatever with you, assuming Pete does not steal you in the first place!!
 ;D ;D ;D

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2017, 10:00:42 PM »
You are so busy nowadays John that i am happy to relieve you of any extra work LOL. Seriously Crazylegs, we have our club meeting in Trowbridge on the 2nd Thursday of every month id you would like to come over and meet up

Pete

Offline Glenn

• iron
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2017, 06:36:13 AM »
How much do  you guys sell door stops for?

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2017, 07:36:00 AM »
A simple piece of 40mmx40mm section, about 250mm long, turned to a knob shape at either end, then sawn diagonally and the saw cut cleaned up on a belt sander.....Makes 2 doorstops which sell in my own woodturning shop at £7.50 each.

The maths behind the price...raw materials cost...... 50p
Labour ...12 minutes @£25/hour........................£5.00
Net cost..........................................................£5.50
35% shop overheads........................................£2.00
Retail price......................................................£7.50

I make a batch of several pairs at a time...they don't sell quickly, but one goes every few days, so I guess that the price is about right for the market.

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.