Author Topic: Scorching Wood  (Read 2642 times)

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
Scorching Wood
« on: December 05, 2017, 08:21:24 AM »
I have a platter some 14" across which I would like to scorch as it is a fairly soft wood with large growth rings which is never going to give a truly smooth finish, so I thought a scorched texture may add some interest. I have never really experimented with this method but have seen some truly amazing results. As this is for the mother in Law  :-X I cant afford to play around to much as she is wanting it fairly quickly, so some pointers please, and finishing advice once done over the scorched surface?

Many thanks

Stuart
Living and working on the Norfolk Broads

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
Re: Scorching Wood
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2017, 08:23:38 AM »
http://www.awgb.co.uk/awgbforum/index.php/topic,4197.msg36081.html#msg36081

I found the above thread but alas the pictures are missing

Offline Martin Lawrence

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Kidderminster Worcestershire
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2017, 12:33:37 PM »
  Hi Stuart,

It obviously depends of what the purpose of the item is for but I presume it won't be food or for a childs toy, so after scorching use a bronze brush to remove the dust this also assists with a finished texture, you can if you want lots of texture use a stiff wire brush. It can then be sealed with any sealer but beware the dust will bleed out on any parts not scorched and I usually then just spray on a matt finish.

Cheers martin.
Martin Lawrence

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2017, 03:31:55 PM »
No argument with most of the above but you do say it is a fairly soft wood so I'd not use a bronze brush like Martin suggests, try a nylon bristled nail brush so as to not damage the underlying wood.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2017, 06:14:55 PM »
Hi Stuart.....all the above is sound advise. Once sealed, you might consider applying lime wax or perhaps verdigris wax, which you rub on very generously, then rub off again to leave deposits in the open pores of the grain. The scorch and scour will make the grain very tactile, whereas a coloured wax will make it more visually apparent.

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2017, 07:47:06 AM »
Thanks Gents,

will have a play this evening

Offline Mark Hancock

• bronze
    • Mark Hancock
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2017, 08:06:25 AM »
Use a "hot" gas such as Mapp Pro so that it doesn't distress the wood and causing heat checking. Clean off with a bristle polishing brush to remove the carbon/soot but DON'T use extraction when doing this. I always spray with water before cleaning off to kill any embers that may be lucking.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2017, 08:14:06 AM »
...... DON'T use extraction when doing this.....
...sound advise.....also, don't be tempted to re=mount on the lathe at this point. If there is a hot-spot amongst all the scorching, revolving it at speed will give it such an oxygen rush that it might well self-ignite.

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2017, 09:31:48 AM »
Sound safety advice, will give me a good excuse to give the work shop a good clean out prior to starting.