Author Topic: New Chairman  (Read 6055 times)

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
New Chairman
« on: December 10, 2017, 09:08:12 PM »
Just had notice that Paul Hannaby is now the AWGB Chairman how has that happened I did not get a vote.
Does this mean Paul is standing in until Members get a vote ?

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: New Chairman
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2017, 09:14:51 PM »
It seems to say that the chairman is selected by the trustees George not the members. Might have read it wrongly.

Pete
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 09:17:23 PM by bodrighywood »
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2017, 09:19:18 PM »
Hi George,
As the bulletin said - The officer posts (chairman, vice chairman, secretary and treasurer) are chosen from within the existing trustees by the trustees. This is the correct procedure laid down in the AWGB articles which is available for you to read on the website if you want to check.
Here's a link to the document http://www.awgb.co.uk/files/AWGBMemorandumandArticlesofAssociation.pdf. Section 8 is the one in question.

Basically, the members vote for the trustees at the AGM and the trustees select the four officers. This is the same process used to select the previous chairmen and officers as long as I know about. Nothing has changed.

The changes in officers are from the 1st of January.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 09:22:10 PM by Paul Hannaby »

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2017, 09:19:24 PM »
It is disconcerting, to say the least, that the members don't get a vote.
Dave will be sorely missed, he was a dedicated chairman with a strong and positive influence.

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline crazylegs

• bronze
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2017, 09:24:17 PM »
I have seen you post Paul but who are the other people. I may be wrong but I do not think I have seen their names until now?
never try to be better than others just better than you were yesterday.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2017, 09:24:38 PM »
Thank you Paul for clearing that up.
I must say I do agree with Les.
Has there been a big fall out Paul as two top men have left suddenly.
This happenened before when Andy Coates left and there was no real explanation is there trouble at the top that members should know about

Regards George

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2017, 09:27:39 PM »
Hi George,
                Read the announcement on the Forum that explains it as the AWGB has Charity status this method is set in the Constitution

I am sure if I am wrong someone will correct me. ???

Anyway congratulations to Paul he has served the AWGB in many rolls over the years and anyone serving on this committee gives up a

lot of their time and it is all voluntary.So good luck to you Paul.

Regards John 
 WHILE I WAS WRITING THIS POST 5 OTHER POSTS WERE SUBMITTED

« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 09:30:31 PM by John D Smith »
John Smith

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2017, 09:27:49 PM »
I agree that it is as in the articles but unless you had pointed out where to look I doubt I would have trawled through 40 pages to find all the details. I also feel that as the AWGB is a democratic organisation the very least that could have happenned is that we could have  been notified of changes needed, not a fait accompli.

Pete

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2017, 09:35:17 PM »
Hi John

I agree Paul has done a lot for the AWGB I have not sugested anything else but it does not seem very democratic to me.

Regards George

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2017, 09:36:23 PM »
Hi George,
Sorry to disappoint but no big fall out. Both Dave and Sam are happy to support us but don't have the time to continue in the capacity they have been.
You should also bear in mind that the trustees were voted in (democratically) by the membership to represent them and to carry out the tasks required. This is exactly what we did and will continue to do.

Pete,
We have informed everyone at the earliest opportunity once the necessary arrangements were made as per the articles. Our priority was, and will continue to be to ensure the AWGB is run to the best of our advantage for the members by following the rules agreed by the membership.

Out of interest, have either of you ever attended one of the AWGB AGMs ? You don't have to go but perhaps it would give you a better insight into the democratic process.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 09:42:38 PM by Paul Hannaby »

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2017, 09:36:52 PM »

Over the last 10 or more years I have attended the AWGB AGM I missed this year due to health problems I must say I have not noticed

any of the members who are complaining at the AGM. Lets stop sniping and get on with helping the AWGB Committe/Trustees

Regards John
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 09:41:02 PM by John D Smith »
John Smith

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2017, 09:48:43 PM »
Hi George,
Sorry to disappoint but no big fall out. Both Dave and Sam are happy to support us but don't have the time to continue in the capacity they have been.
You should also bear in mind that the trustees were voted in (democratically) by the membership to represent them and to carry out the tasks required. This is exactly what we did and will continue to do.

I am not disapointed Paul and I cannot uderstand why you think I woul be maybe you would like to enlighten me.
You would not be my first choice as Chairman Paul (nothing personal) too many times on this Forum in my opinion you have stifled free speech and I an seriousy conserned now that with your extra power it can only get worse

Regards George

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2017, 09:58:44 PM »

You would not be my first choice as Chairman Paul (nothing personal) too many times on this Forum in my opinion you have stifled free speech and I an seriousy conserned now that with your extra power it can only get worse

Regards George
I have to agree, George....quoting the finer points of the constitution of the AWGB is all very well, and suggesting that attendance of the AGM is the proper way to voice concerns is all very well, but it is not appropriate, I am sure, to the vast majority of members. I experienced, first hand, the over-bearing attempts of Paul to censure me a few months ago, and had an official apology from the AWGB, but who is now left to apologise when such things happen? This must surely be a concern to any members who have experienced what some of us have!
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2017, 10:00:40 PM »
You are right Les it is a real worry

Regards George

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2017, 10:05:42 PM »
Following the letter of the constitution is not really the issue here. I believe strongly that the AWGB should be an organisation where members can share and speak their mind openly. That has not always been the case and I do feel that there is a danger of this becoming the norm. Being able to attend the AGM's etc is not really an option for many of us for a number of reasons and if that is the only place where we can voice opinions etc then we are in trouble as it will just be the same few people in charge of everything.

Pdete