Author Topic: Drying round blanks  (Read 7384 times)

Nige7

Re: Drying round blanks
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2012, 09:41:20 AM »
Thanks for the info and images Tim, all useful information. Gives 'ball park' idea of what I might expect :)

Regards

Nigel

Nige7

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2012, 09:42:47 AM »
Should say welcome to Pat as well. I've not been here long Pat but this is a useful and friendly place to get info :)

Nigel

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2012, 03:57:00 PM »
This drying lark really is a subject where almost anything, no matter how unlikely, can be seen to be true.
I rough turned some bowls (beech, I think) in 2008 sealed them into plastic Tesco bags with a bit of their own bark and didn't refind them until summer (2011). I expected to find a soggy mess within but what a surprise. The bowls were beautifully spalted, but covered in dried mushrooms, and bone dry ready to re-turn. How the hllllllllll can that be, I hear you all say. Can only surmise that because Tesco bags are pierced for safety reasons the wood was able to remain wet long enough to spalt but then became too dry to actually rot. Whether the same would happen a second time, who knows!
My thoughts then, for what they are worth, go with plastic bags if you want to attempt to spalt the timber or paper carriers if you don't. Expect to lose everything so that you will be content if you don't. And, of course, the best bit if, like me, you are approaching that 'certain age' a fully functional memory is completely optional.
All the best
Brian