Author Topic: Crescent sculptures  (Read 2101 times)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Crescent sculptures
« on: March 30, 2018, 07:09:30 PM »
This set of three crescent sculptures is a progression of a sculpture that I made last year......I'm much happier with this version as the original didn't get my meaning across.
The three conical towers of spalted beech are all pointing to the heavens and are be-topped with crescents, again pointing aloft. the crescents are made of scorched fir and were multi-axis turned.

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Walnut Les

• bronze
Re: Crescent sculptures
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2018, 08:45:03 PM »
I like them Les, they are a bit different from the norm but that's why I like them.
Plus I can't get my head around how you multi axis turned them so a big well done from me. Les

Offline Nick Simpson

• bronze
    • Boglecraft
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2018, 10:55:52 PM »
You've really captured it this time Les.
Very powerful imagery evoking Celtic and Druidic iconography.
This works so well on many levels.
Timed so well for Good Friday
The craftsmanship is first class and the finishes are excellent
You transport us straight back to Morgan (Le Fey) and Modron.
I just love it
Very best Nick

See me at Boglecraft  https://www.Boglecraft.co.uk

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2018, 11:11:17 PM »
Les,

I love the up-stands, not too sure about the crescents. I think the danger here is if they are not exactly balanced in the grain as well as the positioning, just being a small bit out will look wrong.

My personal thought is the crescents should be strongly offset 35° - 55° from the horizontal and all at different angles. It would remove the possibility of small errors and make a more interesting visual effect.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 11:16:57 PM by dr4g0nfly »
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2018, 08:10:01 AM »
Les, Nick, Bryan....thanks for the comments.

Bryan....I took measures to get the crescents perfectly balanced. I stood them on their points  on the table of my pillar drill, each point a precise distance out from the centre, then drilled them, so I'm happy that these are balanced, but you're right about the grain, it can make them look slightly off centre. I wanted these to have horizontally opposed tips (the upward facing crescent) as this is closely associated with some of the ancient Celtic knotwork symbols carved onto stones at religious sites. It has relevance to holding/storing riches of any type (grain, health etc etc).
I have since researched other depictions of the crescent and find that it occurs in just about every religion and culture on earth, with all manner of orientations, so I suspect I'll be making a lot more of these if this first batch sells.
Incidentally, this batch will be offered for sale individually rather than as a set.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2018, 11:09:15 PM »
Three very nice pieces Les but I do have to agree about the grain making the crescents appear to be off centre. But as you pointed out you paid special care to make sure they were not