Author Topic: Heritage Crafts Association - Job vacancy  (Read 6299 times)

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
Re: Heritage Crafts Association - Job vacancy
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2018, 09:06:14 PM »
I anm sure there are those better placed than me to tell but I think, and don't quote me, that we are affiliated. or corporate members, or something like that. The HCA are doing their level best to try and ensure that endangered crafts don't die out, with mainly volunteers to do the work. Yes they may have got our bit skewed but at least they are trying to look after the interests of endangered crafts.

Offline APH

• bronze
    • My Instagram turning feed
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2018, 10:24:38 PM »
the AWGB should support and help educate them rather than poke them with a pointy stick.
It sounds like that's what Les has done following this thread.

However they have little credibility after this. In the 21st Century the first form of inquiry is usually an internet search; type 'woodturning UK' into Google search and the first site offered is the AWGB. Go to that and click 'about us' and it tells you the AWGB has over 3000 members. That takes less than 15 seconds.
Where did they get the 200-500 number from ?
Absolutely hopeless research.

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2018, 10:57:22 PM »
APH I do not know where there information came from but I very much doubt that there are more than 500 turners earning a living purely from woodturning in this country. I can tell you that there are only 200 or so members of the RPT so safe to assume there are at least that number who are professional but not members of any groups. So looking at it that way perhaps the numbers quoted are less surprising.

Offline APH

• bronze
    • My Instagram turning feed
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2018, 07:41:42 AM »
APH I do not know where there information came from but I very much doubt that there are more than 500 turners earning a living purely from woodturning in this country.
Before you comment maybe you should read what's being discussed ?
The 500 figures is not about professional turners, but hobbyists.
" 30-50 commercial turners / 201-500 hobby/amateur turners"

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2018, 05:43:45 PM »
The AWGB is a member of the HCA. We were contacted some time ago about the Radcilffe red list and from what I recall, we responded with some estimates on the number of turners in the UK. It looks like our figures haven't yet fed into the list.

I don't think there is any imminent danger of woodturning dying out as a practiced craft but that doesn't mean we should sit on our laurels. We need to promote woodturning to increase public awareness and spread the word to encourage new members to join the association so it continues to grow.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2018, 07:54:10 PM »
Quite frankly I think a lot of turns live in a bubble of shavings. Yes there are a lot of hobby Turner's and as John correctly points out maybe about 500practicing Turner's earning some sort of living in this country . The fact is it is taught in hardly any schools or colleges, most galleries don't accept it as an art form so won't carry it and the general public is unaware that it is still carried out. Like most "crafts"it is seen as something perhaps for retired people to do to keep busy and little else. In all the shows I do throughout the year the most asked question is "do you make all this?" Most traditional crafts are being kept alive by hobbyists and often not well if truth be told. To argue amongst yourselves over numbers is of no help and quite frankly I think that we should all be promoting the craft by doing shows, demonstrations (not just at clubs to the converted) and generally recognising that what we do as Turner's is something to be proud of. No apologies for the rant, I get fed up with people bickering pointing the finger and doing sod all themselves to actually get out there and promote our craft to the public.
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2018, 08:45:41 PM »
I actually posted this, in case someone with a craft bent to them, fancied applying for the job, but it had lead to an interesting debate.

In all the shows I do throughout the year the most asked question is "do you make all this?"

I recognise this question, I've heard it so many times.

Most traditional crafts are being kept alive by hobbyists and often not well if truth be told.

I agree and looking at the number of ladies I meet who do Tatting, Spinning, Weaving, Lacework and many of the other crafts listed, I think that list does need a serious update.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!