Author Topic: Elder turning  (Read 2394 times)

Offline John Plater

• gold
Elder turning
« on: May 21, 2018, 12:39:42 PM »
Hello All,
Just getting into using the Forum. Having posted a comment on a piece distorted by Mother Nature, I thought that I would try starting a new topic along a similar theme. This piece of elder came from the top of a very short trunk/bole where it went into several branches. The bark edges and voids made for fun and then the distortion, created as the piece dried out, added to it ! It was turned to approx 10mm wall thickness last November and then sanding and finished (OSMO Oil) in February 2018.
ATB John
If I had a better lathe, I would be able to show my ineptitude more effectively.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: Elder turning
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2018, 01:02:13 PM »
Looks as though you turn the same sort of thing I do John. Can't always guarantee what you will get out of it if anything. Haven't turned elder though I would imagine it is pretty wet?

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline John Plater

• gold
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2018, 01:21:41 PM »
Yes, the piece was turned wet. The tree was cut down in July then left for the "free moisture" to dry out until I could get around to it in November! I quite enjoy leaving pieces to nature so I always turn to a finished dimension rather than to return to a piece after drying/seasoning.
ATB John
If I had a better lathe, I would be able to show my ineptitude more effectively.

Offline Tony_a

• bronze
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2018, 10:14:58 PM »
I like it John, well done. Any chance of a couple more photos from different angles.
Tony
Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened. (Churchill)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2018, 04:47:25 AM »
It has clearly undergone a lot of movement during drying and has developed a very organic profile, which is always intriguing. Hats off to you for tackling this piece, it shows all of the characteristics that make elder a candidate for the firewood pile, so it's great to see it being used in this way.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2018, 05:43:19 AM »
Hi John

Welcome to the AWGB forum hope your well and keeping busy.

Personally I love this sort of work. I see that Pete will have some competition now  :)

All the best

Ed

Offline John Plater

• gold
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2018, 12:31:10 PM »
Thank you all for the comments ! Yes, Ed all is well thank you. Taking a bit of a sabbatical to deal with other stuff so not turning as much. Two more images are attached as requested by Tony
ATB John

Offline John Plater

• gold
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2018, 12:35:33 PM »
Wrong image, sorry.
ATB John

Offline Tony_a

• bronze
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2018, 11:26:02 PM »
really like that last photo John.
Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened. (Churchill)

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2018, 02:23:34 PM »
John,

welcome on-board the forum.

What a superbly ugly piece of work, Bark, holes, cracks, movement - and it held together, fantastic work, well done.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline John Plater

• gold
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2018, 10:41:49 AM »
I love the notion of something being superbly ugly, a real laugh out loud moment ! Thank you !
ATB John