Author Topic: OT Bandsaw repair  (Read 2556 times)

Offline APH

• bronze
    • My Instagram turning feed
OT Bandsaw repair
« on: May 22, 2018, 10:32:50 AM »
A little OT, but I think a lot of us here use bandsaws.

I've just bought a secondhand bandsaw. Great machine at a good price, but has one annoying problem; in the past the cast iron table has suffered some bad rust damage. It's usable, but it would be nice to sort it out properly. The most it's out is 15 thou"
The table is 450mm square and the first few engineering companies I've called have said it's too big to deal with.

Anyone know a company in the South East that might sort this out without breaking the bank ?

Thanks

Online seventhdevil

• platinum
Re: OT Bandsaw repair
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2018, 02:59:17 PM »
can't help with an engineering company but is 15 thou really noticable when cutting with a bandsaw blade which usually needs to be dressed afterwards anyway???

Offline APH

• bronze
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2018, 03:17:26 PM »
As I said, it's usable. It would just be nice to have a properly flat table. The bandsaw makes a convenient and easily accessible reference plate in my workshop.
Of course if it's going to cost a fortune I won't bother, but maybe someone knows of a small business that will do it for a reasonable sum. It could be a good small job for an apprentice or similar.

Plus it looks messy ;-)

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2018, 08:28:09 AM »
As Seve said 15 thou isn't worth worrying about, the wood will change by that much day to day. If it is the mess you don't like try putting an orbital sander over it.

Offline APH

• bronze
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2018, 08:37:39 AM »
If it is the mess you don't like try putting an orbital sander over it.
You clearly have never tried that or you wouldn't suggest it.

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2018, 09:44:39 AM »
If it is the mess you don't like try putting an orbital sander over it.
You clearly have never tried that or you wouldn't suggest it.

I sand my tables about once a year then re wax, not an issue with fine grit and care. if the op is really concerned about a flat surface perhaps a MDF second table over the iron one may assist.
Living and working on the Norfolk Broads

Offline APH

• bronze
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2018, 10:07:21 AM »
I sand my tables about once a year then re wax, not an issue with fine grit and care.
That's just routine maintenance, not trying to remove and flatten a significant amount. A very different proposition.

Offline andy44

• Andy
  • gold
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2018, 10:19:16 AM »
 not trying to remove and flatten a significant amount.

15 thou" is a significant amount? I wouldn't bother
regards
Andy

Offline Duncan A

• bronze
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2018, 10:23:09 AM »
Have you tried asking casting companies? They will often do final machining for a customer or will know of someone who can do it.
This one in Northants says it can advise on sub-contractors http://westlandcastings.co.uk/
or Worcestershire   http://www.advancedcasting.co.uk/additional-services/
There must be many machine shops out there, with regular work on new castings; probably best to find a small one for one-off jobs.
Duncan

Offline APH

• bronze
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2018, 10:39:37 AM »
Have you tried asking casting companies?
There's not a lot of those in NW London and the South East.

Offline David Buskell

• gold
    • At The Cutting Edge
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2018, 10:48:23 AM »
Why not have a chat to your friendly local blacksmith? They might be able to help or make a new table for you.
David
At The Cutting Edge

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2018, 05:38:24 PM »
If my maths are correct, this works out to about 0.4mm. If you only ever do woodworking on it, there really is very little point in fixing this. Different story for metalworking, though. If you simply want a flat reference platform, you might want to consider putting a frame around the table and flooding it with a fine epoxy resin (after making sure your table is perfectly level). This can easily be machined and replaced, and won't cost an arm and a leg. OTOH, it's obviously not as durable as a metal surface.