Author Topic: In the glade  (Read 2218 times)

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
In the glade
« on: May 30, 2018, 10:47:02 PM »
I finally found my tripod again, and can now take some (hopefully) decent pictures of my work. Here's a hollow form in rippled sycamore, about 9" diameter and 3" high. The colour is from Chestnut spirit stains (green and yellow), hollowed quite thin (about 2mm on the top). It's had about 6 coats of acrylic lacquer and then plenty of buffing with burnishing cream. Let's hear what you guys think.

Offline crazylegs

• bronze
Re: In the glade
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2018, 11:01:38 PM »
love the colour and the skill to hollow it out. Ahh one day...
Do you use stickers for the logo on the base? If not what do you use?
never try to be better than others just better than you were yesterday.

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2018, 11:15:32 PM »
Yes, that's a sticker. I make quite a few things for gift shops and got a bit tired of having to burn my signature in on all those pieces.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2018, 05:12:20 AM »
I am completely out of my depth with pieces like this and have never turned a hollow form of this nature, but that doesn't stop me admiring the quality of the work that goes into them. In profile, it breaks every version of the rule of thirds, that ever was written and to get away with that, the profile needs to be perfectly clean and split 50:50 (in other words symmetrical) and you appear to have achieved it here, Fuzzy, so it works well.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Dancie

• bronze
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2018, 08:11:48 AM »
Nice shape, well executed and lovely colour
Mistakes are proof that at least you're trying

Offline Nick Simpson

• bronze
    • Boglecraft
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2018, 09:55:12 AM »
Shape/form and finish I admire.
I'm just not a fan of green as a stain. You have done well to avoid the massive difference in colour density in the end grain but it can't be avoided.
2mm at the entry point - what about at the widest point - if that's 2mm then what tool did you use? jig or freehand TV or laser monitored?
Regards
Nick
See me at Boglecraft  https://www.Boglecraft.co.uk

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2018, 10:58:47 AM »
At the widest point the wall thickness is a lot more, primarily because I ran out of reach. I used mostly a simple Robert Sorby hollowing tool (very similar to this). I do all my hollowing freehand, and use some homemade calipers to measure wall thickness.

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2018, 12:11:50 PM »
Love the form and the wood on this one nicley finished. OK not to keen on the colour but that is personal taste, keeping it all the same colour certainly works for me

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2018, 09:14:58 PM »
Getting the balance right on a 50:50 form is not easy. Well done on achieving it, especially as you hand hollow.

I'll be different, I like the Green colour of this, it makes qa change from the Iridescent paints we see a lot of and it's not so loud and in your face as some greens.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2018, 04:12:07 PM »
Thanks to all for taking the time to comment. Colours are always a question of personal taste. I am not normally a fan of green, but when I looked at the shape, I just felt that it had to be green. Don't ask me to explain why.

Offline Walnut Les

• bronze
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2018, 07:38:21 PM »
All you need now is Kermit to come and sit on It fuzzy. Well turned, coloured and finished mate. Les