Author Topic: Is this normal?  (Read 2603 times)

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
Is this normal?
« on: June 01, 2018, 08:09:43 PM »
Way back in April, I had a stall the British Craft Trade Fair in Harrogate, and got two orders from galleries/gift shops out of that. I sent both of them a nice pro-forma invoice, which stated my terms very clearly: deposit of 50% immediately and the remainder on delivery. Heard nothing from them for a few weeks, so I sent them a reminder email. No responses. About a week ago I phoned them both. In both cases loads of apologies, and yes, we'll see to it right away, blah, blah, blah. Guess what? so far no money.

So now I am wondering what to do with these "customers". Should I give them the benefit of the doubt? Another phone call? Cancel the orders? What would you guys do?

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: Is this normal?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2018, 09:38:56 PM »
Ignore them. If they were serious customers they would have got back to you long ago.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline John Plater

• gold
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2018, 12:05:10 PM »
Is it a sign of the times ? I have been actively selling work for the last eleven years which more or less coincides with a less favourable financial climate. It also coincides with a perceived increase in the number of selling and purchasing opportunities such as Open Studio schemes and online galleries. Maybe there is a limited amount of disposable income around to spend on craftwork but lots more opportunities to do so, leading to greater competition and let's screw the craftsman over if we can ? I was not active during the years previously when selling craftwork was more of a viable proposition. I meet and work with a lot of craftspeople who are finding current times more difficult. Similarly so are gallery and craftshop owners/operators I speak to. Most shops and galleries want to operate on a sale or return basis with the potential for your time and material costs sitting idle at your expense.  I don't know the basis of the deal struck with your customers but a contract to provide a gallery or shop where they purchase the pieces from you is not to be sniffed at so maybe another call of a "cards on the table" nature ?
ATB John
If I had a better lathe, I would be able to show my ineptitude more effectively.

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2018, 04:49:22 PM »
Fuzzy in my opinion there is no such thing as an easy sale. All customers need to be "wooed". At a craft sale the sales you make will probably be to individuals and those purchases will be one offs. To a craft shop the sales could be multiples and you will not have to bother with the marketing and setting up etc. If it were me I would persue the potential customer and be as helpful and honest as possible until such time as there is no doubt in your mind that the horse you are flogging is well and truly dead.
 I also have to say that I don't bother with contacts etc. I make an agreement and write it down but unless the job is huge I always tell my customers to pay me if they are happy with the job,if they are not I will rectify it or have the work back and call it quits. Quality is what sells.

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2018, 05:55:58 PM »
Oh, I don't think there's any issues with the quality. Both of these people knew exactly what they were looking for, when they were on the stall. And I do appreciate that customers need to be wooed. What ticks me off is that they are already getting trade pricing, and I still have to put the same effort into it as if it were a retail sale. I guess I really should pursue this further, otherwise the BCTF would go from a £400 loss to an £800 loss.

Offline burywoodturners

• gold
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2018, 05:50:26 PM »
If you think that is bad try being a club secretary and booking a decent programme, the more well known demostrators are usually on the ball, it is their living, but the lesser lights seem to think a reply to an offer of a booking is optional!
Ron

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2018, 05:04:31 PM »
Phoned them both today and essentially the story was the same in both cases. They do want the orders, but right now are short on cash, so the orders are "on hold" until business gets better and they can afford to put the deposit down. Well, I suppose that's better than an outright cancellation.

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2018, 08:22:13 PM »
Not a no then then so that is positive. Now is the time to offer sale and return and then you are in the stronger position to dictate terms.

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2018, 10:03:47 PM »
I did actually ponder just that. The reality is that I have a lot of stock just sitting there between shows, so they might as well gather dust in a public place. You never know...

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2018, 06:52:41 AM »
Hi Wolfgang

Be very careful offering people like this sale or return. If they really have not got a few hundred quid to pay for stock then their very tight for cash. What to say they wont sell your piece's and then not pay you.

In business it's very easy for someone not to pay and then your left with no stock and no cash.

I would always take some sort of security so I'm covered.

All the best

Ed