Author Topic: Draper WTL90 Variable speed lathe  (Read 2829 times)

Offline webberi

• iron
Draper WTL90 Variable speed lathe
« on: June 02, 2018, 01:42:46 PM »
Hi All

Does anyone have any experience of changing the right and left hand top pulleys on this lathe, are there any pdf files, diagrams or maintenance manuals available. I have changed the bottom drive pulleys, but the top ones look as though you have to pretty much dismantle the headstock.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Best Regards

Offline Derek

• platinum
Re: Draper WTL90 Variable speed lathe
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2018, 10:21:04 AM »
Is this any help HERE

Offline webberi

• iron
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2018, 10:28:33 AM »
Thanks Derek, I have this already, was hoping for a more informative document. From this, it looks like I will have to dismantle the spindle shaft to withdraw the pulleys.
Thanks anyway

Offline burywoodturners

• gold
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2018, 05:45:37 PM »
I have an elderly Axminster with similar pulleys, these are the variable speed pulleys with a lever to control the speed change.
i have replaced both sets of pulleys and i needed nothing more than a pair of expanding circlip pliers and a some allen keys. It is not rocket science, just take it apart and set the pieces out systematically and you will see how to replace them.
Why do you need to dimantle them?  if it is to clean and lubricate then use a spray on dry lube, from Axminster among others, or if you are changing parts,good luck with finding replacements!
Ron

Offline webberi

• iron
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2018, 07:38:10 PM »
Thanks for the confidence boost, the left hand top pulley has shattered, hence the replacement, hopefully the new pulleys will arrive Tuesday.