Author Topic: The Colour Of Magic  (Read 4286 times)

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
The Colour Of Magic
« on: June 04, 2018, 02:14:20 PM »
Some people will remember a thread about a wall piece in ash, posted here in July last year. This piece is a follow on from that, however with quite a few changes (and there are more in the making). Firstly this is rippled sycamore instead of ash, secondly the surface is almost completely flat, and finally it combines  multiple colours.
The colouring is all done with textile dyes, except for the black (acrylic paint applied with cotton ear buds) and the gold. Diameter is about 20" (and no matter which way I turned my background, it wasn't big enough).
As usual, all comments and critique welcome.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: The Colour Of Magic
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2018, 03:26:22 PM »
Like this a lot Fuzzy especially the effect that you have got with the gold. Not really my style of art and I wouldn't have put these colours together but it works here. Just goes to show that we (or maybe just me) need to keep an open mind about these things.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2018, 03:30:25 PM »
I'm with you on that, Pete....I too would never have put those colours together, but as you say, it does work and I applaud your vision, Fuzzy.

Les

p.s. ... shouldn't there be some octarine in there, or even a figure of eight!  ::)
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2018, 03:38:59 PM »
Well that's got a lot to say for itself, though I think it's more shouting than talking. Certainly art on a board, loud but it works for me.

p.s. ... shouldn't there be some octarine in there, or even a figure of eight!  ::)

Can't you see the Octarine in it? You must have Muggle blood in you!
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2018, 04:10:02 PM »
Well, there are some colours that are quite tricky to photograph. It's there alright, it just doesn't come out too well in a picture.

I am very pleased that you guys all like this. Especially Pete, who normally isn't a huge fan of putting colour on wood (unless done by Mo). I do agree, this piece is a little shouty. It certainly isn't subtle, that's for sure. I am still trying to find the right balance of elementsm, and it'll probably take a few more before I get there.

Offline Nick Simpson

• bronze
    • Boglecraft
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2018, 07:31:13 PM »
I like this Fuzzy
There must be a back story -do  share it
It reminds me of the dust-jacket cover of 50's sci-fi novels
the ripple gives an intriguing fabric-like effect with your lighting system
are the rays gold leaf?
You might try Fotofuze which is a free online programme which will eliminate your background corners. much easier than mucking about with photoshop.
Thanks for the share . its given me lots of ideas.
Nick
See me at Boglecraft  https://www.Boglecraft.co.uk

Offline Walnut Les

• bronze
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2018, 08:02:48 PM »
I like this one also fuzzy as not only is it colourful but its taking you in so many different directions. Les

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2018, 09:11:02 PM »
It reminds me of the dust-jacket cover of 50's sci-fi novels

This forum sometimes needs a 'Like' button.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2018, 09:35:01 PM »
I like it just my type of thing. Have you thought of progressing to using an airbrush so many possibilities as I am discovering

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2018, 10:01:52 PM »
I like it just my type of thing. Have you thought of progressing to using an airbrush so many possibilities as I am discovering
As luck will have it, I bought one today. Cheap compressor and one airbrush from Aldi for £65. Can't really go wrong with that. Moving into airbrushing has always been the plan, so this is just the start to yet another journey.

And yes, the colouring is reminiscent of those sci-fi novels, I noticed that myself. The gold is gilt varnish on a red fontenay base, both of which I bought from an antiques restorer. It is however a standard brand that can be bought in many places. The version I use is called "bright gold", but there are other types available.

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2018, 10:09:39 PM »
As luck will have it, I bought one today. Cheap compressor and one airbrush from Aldi for £65. Can't really go wrong with that. Moving into airbrushing has always been the plan, so this is just the start to yet another journey.

The cheap airbrushes are OK but need a little work to make them perform better, I started with a compressor and two cheap brushes and soon brought a Harder and Seinbeck brush the difference is like chalk and cheese. I get my paints from SM Designs they are the createx ones not cheap. I also get some from the people who supplied my airbrush which is THIS ONE

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2018, 11:05:22 PM »
I've put a little research into this, and apparently the cheap ones are only really good for background work, and I don't expect any more from this one. It's just that I didn't want to splash out on a really expensive airbrush without trying out a cheaper one first. But thanks for the pointers, they are well received.

Offline Sandy

• bronze
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2018, 11:23:51 PM »
Hi Fuzzy,
I like this and the choice of colouring...

ref the "I'm with you on that, Pete....I too would never have put those colours together," I wondered if you'd subconsciously been influenced by:

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2018, 11:33:11 PM »
i'm obviously the only one that doesnt like this the as everyone else is raving about it.

green and yellow are not my colours anyway but the first thing i thought of when i saw this was eeewwwwww.

sorry wolfgang, that's personal taste for you i suppose.

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2018, 04:13:19 PM »
 Well, Steve, I suppose you are allowed to not like one of ,my pieces every now and then. ;D