Author Topic: bench drill  (Read 1988 times)

Offline TonyinSuffolk

• iron
bench drill
« on: June 17, 2018, 05:40:29 PM »
this might be a silly question for this forum, but i just got a bench drill and it seems the chuck fits to the shaft like a morse taper, no grub screws or anything like that ,excuse my ignorance but is this correct.

Cheers  T

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: bench drill
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2018, 06:51:22 PM »
Hi Tony....that's quite common. Is this a new machine, or second hand? If the latter, beware any scoring/pitting on the tapered spindle of the chuck. If the taper isn't clean it might well develop the annoying habit of dropping out of the shaft, especially when you're withdrawing the drill out of whatever material you're working with.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2018, 08:04:20 PM »
On most bench drills the chuck will fit into a morse taper, but will also be held in place with a threaded rod going all the way through the main drill shaft, with a nut on top to secure the chuck against falling out.

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2018, 08:11:10 PM »
Mine doesn't have a threaded rod, just a taper. By the way, I think the chucks usually have a Jacobs taper, not a Morse taper. My chuck for the lathe also has a Jacobs taper. The mandrel for that has Jacobs taper one end and a Morse taper on the other end.

Offline Redtails4

• copper
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2018, 09:20:53 PM »
Hi
Drill presses do not need a rod through the spindle because there is no side pressure like for example a vertical milling machine, the drill chuck/ drill is going forwards and should not come loose. Most drill Chuck's and drills over a certain size will have a Tang that helps with both the drive and the security of the cutting tool.
99% of all drill press spindles have a Morse taper off varying sizes machined into them
Which are classfied Mt 1 through to My 5 and beyond.
The other taper that fits into the chuck is a slightly faster is designated J 11 through to J16
The smaller the chuck the smaller the J digits . The examples  I have given are non exhaustive and only examples.
Also you may have drill chuck that has a thread in the back of the chuck which screws onto the drill spindle.

Offline Redtails4

• copper
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2018, 09:40:02 PM »
Hi
Get the drill chuck and rub a piece of chalk down the chuck taper offer up make sure it's fast then try rocking the drill chuck to see if you can rock the chuck in the spindle  after eject the drill chuck from the drill press spindle.
You should see any distortion or high spots on the the Morse taper.

Offline TonyinSuffolk

• iron
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2018, 11:17:59 AM »
Brilliant thanks for the reply's,  it is a new one a real cheapy but it seems to do the job  so far.

Thanks
                                                 Tony