Author Topic: Armistice Vase  (Read 2559 times)

Offline malcy

• gold
Armistice Vase
« on: August 01, 2018, 10:55:42 PM »
This vase is made to commemorate the centenary of the end of the first world war which ran from 1914 to 1918.

It is made largely of segments of European Oak, bordered top and bottom with black Ebony. The central feature ring is based on brown Walnut, representing the mud of ‘Flanders Fields’. There are 6 poppies made from Bloodwood, the poppy being the symbol of remembrance of the Royal British Legion. There are also 6 white doves made using a white epoxy resin, the white doves being an international symbol of peace. The feature ring in the neck says 11.11.11., (eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month) this being the time for remembering those who fell in this and other conflicts. The black ebony base has inset into two old British half crowns. The one inside is dated 1914 and the one on the outside is dated 1918.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: Armistice Vase
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2018, 08:38:48 AM »
A lot of thought and work gone into this Malcy. Impressive.

pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline John Plater

• gold
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2018, 09:41:29 AM »
It is always interesting to see different approaches to the design of a piece. Some are about the wood, some are about the form but this one is about the story. A theme has been taken and worked into a turned form in a very thoughtful way. I trust that we will get to see the piece in Carpenters' Hall in November ?
ATB John
If I had a better lathe, I would be able to show my ineptitude more effectively.

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2018, 10:19:36 AM »
a very cool piece, I don't understand how you guys have the patience for segmented work, and, can get the joints so perfect. Hat off to you Malcy.
Living and working on the Norfolk Broads

Offline Nick Simpson

• bronze
    • Boglecraft
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2018, 12:47:32 PM »
Great Piece.
Very well thought out
I have set a WW1 themed challenge for the next meeting of our club
I have emailed this link saying that this should be considered the appropriate standard
Regards
Nick
See me at Boglecraft  https://www.Boglecraft.co.uk

Offline Misa

• copper
    • Wolery Woodcraft
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2018, 03:32:58 PM »
Lovely, thoughtful piece of work.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2018, 05:54:04 PM »
Malcy,

very current, considering it is the 100th anniversary of the Armistice.

The way you've created the poppies is extremely clever and white epoxy for the doves (what is white epoxy or have you added titanium dioxide to it?)

Until I read your explanation, I had seen the 11.11.11 as decoration, not for what it is and suggests.

Last question, what is the coin please.

And I really admire this piece of work.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2018, 08:21:41 PM »

Hi Malcy,
              What a great piece of work this is so much thought has gone into this I find it Quite emotional I think this should be posted in the
 AWGB Gallery( Moderator please consider)

Thank you for sharing  and Dragonfly malcy did say the Coins were Half Crowns perhaps that was before your time ;D

Regards John
John Smith

Offline malcy

• gold
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2018, 09:09:28 PM »
Hi All. Thanks for your comments. To answer some points made above. Firstly the idea for this came from the call for entries to the competitions to be held in Novemeber at Carpenters Hall. I was intending to enter this piece but i have doubts as i can see too many flaws for my likening. I am still thinking about this. The poppies were made by successively drilling and plugging four holes, one after the other had set and finally a hole and plug near the centre using ebony. Note that they are all not exactly symmetrical or the same as not all poppies are exactly the same. The doves are made with a very slow setting epoxy, whitened with titanium dioxide and poured into a hole cut with a scroll saw, each one done individually. As John has said the two coins are old British half crowns (worth 2shillings and sixpence in old money or only 12.5 pence today). These were given to me by a friend when I was explaining my concept to him. He was intrigued as he was in the army for some years.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2018, 09:52:50 PM »
Hi Malcy,

I asked about the coins as they looked like half crowns, but because of the 'Queen's Shilling' payment to join the Army, I wondered if they were shillings with reverse sides I did not recognise.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2018, 11:32:31 AM »
A very nice piece and as already stated a lot of thought at what has gone into this piece. This is one part of turning that I have not ventured into yet, I am always open to different forms of our art.