Author Topic: Opinions please ( Finishing )  (Read 4174 times)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: Opinions please ( Finishing )
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2018, 09:14:03 PM »
I started using raw linseed oil after reading an article on oil finishes for turned bowls by Robin Wood. It's here if you want to read it -http://www.robin-wood.co.uk/wood-craft-blog/2009/12/14/what-is-the-best-oil-for-treating-wood/
It gives by far the best oil finish of any culinary grade oil I have tried.
...and here is another example of misleading info. I respect Robin, but some of what he says is inaccurate, and therefore misleading. There are traditionally produced boiled linseed oils which are safe to use and which have food safety certificates. The user just needs to do some PROPER research into safety data sheets to find out the facts from a reliable, accredited source.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: Opinions please ( Finishing )
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2018, 10:14:41 PM »
Plus can I add that I have been using sunflower and rapeseed oil for years on both items I sell and use myself and have yet to have any go rancid. Olive oil will however. Linseed oil I cannot comment on as I have never used it partly because I don't like the smell though that is not a valid reason. Walnut and peanut oil should IMHO be avoided for general sale due to the possibility, vague though it may be, of allergies. Whatever oil you use I would recomend mentioning it to the person who will use the item be it a friend, family or customer. Also bear in mind that if you are selling  the customer is highly unlikely to have any quantity of linseed oil or proprietary food safe finishes lying around to maintain the piece whereas most will have basic vegetable oils. One of those situations where perhaps some common sense is needed.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
Re: Opinions please ( Finishing ) Now with photos
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2018, 03:55:54 PM »
Hi people . Just bringing this thread to a end with photos of said small salad bowl , not quite big enough at 8" wide and 5" deep , still its purfect for my daughter and son in law , I am very happy with this bowl , it looks and feels lovely ( I keep fondling  ;) this bowl , it feel lovely )

I have deliberatly left the base thicker to give it some weight / stability .

This was the blank used :-
IMG_3703 by , on Flickr

Looking inside :-
IMG_3699 by , on Flickr

And the base :-
IMG_3700 by , on Flickr

As suggested I used walnut oil obtained from that web site , pressed ,
IMG_3701 by , on Flickr

Will be with its new owner soon as a surprise gift ( Hope she likes it , if not i'm more than happy to keep it  ;D )

Sadly I cant remember the old gents name where I purchased the blanks ( I purchased 6 ) He was in palative care and clearing his woodturning workshop as he could not face leaving this job for his wife , Lovely old gent , I had a long chat with him while at his home .

Thanks for the help / advice  ;)
« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 04:00:27 PM by Wood spinner »