Author Topic: leylandii natural edge bowl.  (Read 2521 times)

Offline wider

• gold
leylandii natural edge bowl.
« on: October 31, 2018, 04:34:20 PM »
I was given this bit of leylandii so wanted to keep the natural edge bowl and I think this has turned and finished ok. all comments welcome.

Offline wider

• gold
Re: leylandii natural edge bowl.
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2018, 04:35:00 PM »
and one more photo

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2018, 06:07:54 PM »
Never fully understood why leyllandii has such a bad reputation.Every poiece I have had was aa joy to turn and often had some nice figuring like this bowl. Can't understand why it is never grown commercially instead of that awful fast growing pine stuff.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline wider

• gold
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2018, 06:20:42 PM »
thank you for that. the smell that is still in the house after bringing the bowl in is still so nice. nearly as good as cedar.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2018, 07:00:34 PM »
Re what Pete mentioned....the bad reputation that Leylandii had no doubt stems from its overuse as a garden hedge-plant, and I was as guilty as the next guy of disliking it because of that....so I cut much of my hedge down and turned it - wonderful stuff! Good figure, wonderful smell and better to turn than many of the softwoods.
If I might make one criticism, I find the rim too heavy for my liking. I always feel that with a floating rim, such as this, it needs to look light to lift the bowl, but a rim this thick tends to make the whole bowl look heavy.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2018, 12:39:03 PM »
I made a couple of rustic benches from a Leylandii cut from our garden. Easy to work and a great smell
Living and working on the Norfolk Broads

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2018, 04:20:34 PM »
I keep coming back to this Dennis and have to agree about the rim being too thick at the edge other than that a very nice piece.

I have one of these trees in the garden that is 3ft+ diameter at the bottom which I keep thinking about giving it the chop just too large for the garden I planted it years ago and was told it is slow growing

Offline John Plater

• gold
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2018, 09:25:59 AM »
Good to see leylandii being used. The grain pattern can be stunning and there is always the possibility of some subtle streaks of colour running through it. It works well as a conversation opener at a craft show ! Correct decision to leave a natural edge on the piece but for me also the rim is too thick and not in proportion with the rest of the piece.
ATB John
If I had a better lathe, I would be able to show my ineptitude more effectively.