Author Topic: Husqvarna 350 Chainsaw question  (Read 4229 times)

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
Husqvarna 350 Chainsaw question
« on: November 16, 2018, 03:02:12 PM »
Hi People

Anyone on here use one of these ?

I have one and would like some advice on the the chain oiler works ?

I purchased it some time ago and its full of sawdust , looks like the previous owner just kept using it without cleaning anything out from behind the covers , I have the covers off / bar and chain removed also  and have cleaned out all the crap , cant see any obvious means of the oiling ???

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
Re: Husqvarna 350 Chainsaw question
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2018, 04:04:27 PM »
It is usually a rotary pump with the pipe coming out just in front of the drive socket, run the saw without bar and chain and you should see oil dribble out of the hole. failing that try here https://arbtalk.co.uk/ very helpful bunch.
Living and working on the Norfolk Broads

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2018, 06:51:24 PM »
First place to check is the bar as there normally is a hole to allow oil to get to the chain. By cleaning the chain slot and through the hole will give that part a flow free area. Then check the slot normally just below the two bar locking studs to see if any muck has got into that. With the bar off and the slot clear fill the oil reservoir and run the machine without bar or chain oil should be present at that slot.
Chainsaws are designed so that for every tank of fuel the oil will also run out at the same time.
Ideally I would have liked to see the chainsaw to be able to give a more accurate diagnosis I use to repair them as a living

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2018, 06:56:06 PM »
OK Gents

Will fill it with fuel and oil and start it with no bar or chain and see what happens

Thanks both  :)

Offline Walnut Les

• bronze
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2018, 09:26:56 PM »
Hi wood spinner, you can also adjust the amount of oil that comes out on to the bar by adjusting the oil pump its a 1 - 2 -3 setting for different sized bars.
no 2 is the normal setting for an 18" bar, when running your chainsaw the petrol should run out before the oil so not to let the chain run dry and cause damage to the chain and bar. I hope that this helps . les
13-15 no 1
15-18 no 2
18-20 no 3
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 09:34:21 PM by Walnut Les »

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2018, 07:54:56 PM »
Found a YouTube video showing how to remove the chain oil pump , very helpful
I will strip it down further  :)

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2018, 07:35:11 PM »
Woodspinner as the H&S chap it is my duty to ask you not to operate a chainsaw unless you are fully competent and have the correct PPE. What yu now do is up to you but I have done my job. ;)

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2018, 08:45:48 PM »
I have used Chainsaws for a few years now , Have the HV hard hat with the mesh face shield / ear defenders , and a pair of HV gloves , I also use Steel toe cap boots , Dont have the sexiest orange trousers yet  ;)

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2018, 05:40:55 PM »
Hummm ? Any advice on re fitting the chain guard cover  ??? Its proving to be a PITA

Must be a special knack to it ?

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2018, 05:49:26 PM »
Hummm ? Any advice on re fitting the chain guard cover  ??? Its proving to be a PITA

Must be a special knack to it ?
If you are talking about the guard and brake check that you have not put the brake on as that will make the cover hard to fit until it is released

Offline Derwent Woodturning club

• bronze
    • Derwent Woodturning Club
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2018, 06:46:20 PM »
I have used Chainsaws for a few years now , Have the HV hard hat with the mesh face shield / ear defenders , and a pair of HV gloves , I also use Steel toe cap boots , Dont have the sexiest orange trousers yet  ;)
Woodspinner, of all the PPE to wear when using a chainsaw, the protective trousers are probably the most important as they will stop the saw ripping into your femoral artery. Unfortunately that is almost guaranteed to be fatal. For the sake of around £60, it's not worth taking the risk.
Regards,
Derwent Woodturning Club

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2018, 07:10:43 PM »
I use full PPE every time, Google chainsaw injury for incentive!!!!

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2018, 11:44:01 PM »
I have used Chainsaws for a few years now , Have the HV hard hat with the mesh face shield / ear defenders , and a pair of HV gloves , I also use Steel toe cap boots , Dont have the sexiest orange trousers yet ;)
Woodspinner, of all the PPE to wear when using a chainsaw, the protective trousers are probably the most important as they will stop the saw ripping into your femoral artery. Unfortunately that is almost guaranteed to be fatal. For the sake of around £60, it's not worth taking the risk.

I will see if santa can bring me a pair  :D

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2018, 02:52:47 AM »
Just a quick update , I have now worked out how to fit the chain brake cover  ;)

Any recomendations re new chains ?

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2018, 08:15:47 AM »
Get the best you can afford, and a decent sharpener (The Lidl one is very good) try
www.chainsawbars for chains and advice, or look on the "arbtalk" forum, very helpful bunch of guys. Also check the bar is not burred over and the nose wheel is free and lubricated. I have a selection of chains that I use for general cutting and on the chainsaw mill, stick to standard pitch and teeth as some of the lo pro or milling chains can be difficult to sharpen correctly. If you stick to the same make pitch etc, once the sharpener is set you can wiz through sharpening them. I tend to sharpen on the machine when blunt but touch up with a file when on site, and a couple of spares in case of hitting a stone or nail.