Author Topic: Seasonal pile of boxes  (Read 1555 times)

Offline willstewart

• gold
Seasonal pile of boxes
« on: November 22, 2018, 10:23:36 PM »
A simple idea that might be a variation on the small wooden tree!

Offline Mike313

• gold
  • Ancora Imparo
Re: Seasonal pile of boxes
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2018, 11:07:10 PM »
Nice idea. As you say on the illustration, a nice way to present a series of small gifts :)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2018, 05:53:24 AM »
I like the idea and it would make a great keep-sake that the recipient would doubtlessly use every year.
If I might make one small suggestion, consider the overall shape. Look at the profile picture of the tree and you'll see that it looks a bit chunky mid-height. Wooden Christmas tree shapes seem to work better when the outer line flows into a triangular shape. just as a natural Christmas tree does.
A good idea worth refining,
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline willstewart

• gold
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2018, 09:22:06 AM »
Les - agreed - this was a first run with scales dictated by the outside diameter of the start piece (and by the available bits).  So the bottom diameter should be bigger but I ran out of wood! 

FTR there are obviously studs under each 'lid' that fit into the box beneath.  These are of the correct diameter but a less snug fit than usual because my construction sequence meant that the studs are cut whilst the lid is still on the piece before the box is drilled.  OK but needs a caliper to size it.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2018, 08:54:07 PM »
An interesting and seasonal twist on the pagoda box. And I agree with Les on the shape but also note you say it was a first run.

Well thought out.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!