Author Topic: Natural edge lidded goblet.  (Read 3998 times)

Offline Motley Dog

• iron
    • Motley Dog Woodturning
Re: Natural edge lidded goblet.
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2018, 04:58:18 PM »
You keep making them with finials Richard, if you keep turning things like this then i can see you being one of the top turners on here.

Well said Brian. you said what i was trying to say a lot better than me. Les

Blimey - thanks Les. Having only had a couple of days to trawl through some of the amazing stuff on here I am, to be honest, quite humbled. So many stunning pieces. On the plus side, it's such a splendid library of work that I doubt anyone could fail to be inspired by it. The trouble is, I'm wasting too much time looking and not enough time making!!

Offline John Plater

• gold
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2018, 06:50:50 PM »
Motley Dog,
Lifted from one of your posts, "I'll be safe with the next piece... No finial in sight!"
If it's finials which rock your boat then carry on with them  ;) I can be quite objective about this as finials do nothing for me ! I looked back at the initial images and still feel that this is a well proportioned example of its type. Unless you are working to commission or for a particular market, do that which interests you most  :)
ATB John
If I had a better lathe, I would be able to show my ineptitude more effectively.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2018, 07:21:36 PM »
As John said, you make what you like unless it is a commission. Everone has different tastes and what appeals to one person does nothing for someone ele. Too many turners seem to focus purely on the quality of turning skill and not on the design IMHO whereas both are equally important.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities