Author Topic: Textured Blue piece  (Read 2496 times)

Offline Derek

• platinum
Textured Blue piece
« on: December 13, 2018, 07:57:15 PM »
I really need a name for this one.

This piece is based on work of Mark Sanger. And not from the recent article in the magazine as I had already started before it came out.

Not really got a name yet but sure it will come. Turned from a piece of quite plain Walnut. Texture applied with a power carver and the blue is an interference blue paint over black ebonising spray. The copper is a metallic spray paint.
Measures 4 1/4" X 3 3/4"

C & C welcome

Offline crazylegs

• bronze
Re: Textured Blue piece
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2018, 10:01:22 PM »
loving the copper, what did you use as a base for the paint?
never try to be better than others just better than you were yesterday.

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2018, 11:16:15 PM »
loving the copper, what did you use as a base for the paint?

I found that Chestnuts Ebonising Spray the best for the effect I wanted. It also can act a little like a filler so the dish part was sprayed and sanded back three times so it gave a perfect smooth finish as the copper paint will show any small defects

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2018, 10:12:29 AM »
A very pleasing combination of colours and textures. You've done well to get a good spray finish inside a recess such as this....how deep is the bowl?
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2018, 10:56:26 AM »
This has now been given a name thanks to a member of another forum. It has now been christened "Crucible"

Thank you Les.

Luckily the bowl is very shallow at about 1" deep it was never intended to be any deeper.

But I can understand your comment about spraying coverage on the inside of vases and the like especially when they are deeper I have done it in the past but it takes a lot of coats of very very thin layers.

Offline Mike313

• gold
  • Ancora Imparo
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2018, 11:06:56 AM »
I like the way you have carried the texturing over the edge, and the recess around the bowl gives it a very clean detail at the bowl edge. The overall shape looks good too.

Offline Walnut Les

• bronze
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2018, 11:46:07 AM »
Nice one Derek, I think that Mark Sanger would be happy in the direction that your are now taking your wood turning mate. Les

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2018, 09:25:17 PM »
The textured carving applied to this really lightens the overall effect of the shape, the dark colours might have overpowered it otherwise.

I read how you prepped the inner surface for the copper, but it is so smooth.

Overall A great looking piece, and one to be proud of.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline John Plater

• gold
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2018, 10:45:00 AM »
I like this piece very much. I think that the name is very appropriate, it brings back memories of melting brass, aluminium and silver in a crucible furnace from a previous existence. So, the metallic finish to the interior and the texture to the exterior are spot on. That is topped by the quality of work which has obviously gone into the piece  :)
ATB John
If I had a better lathe, I would be able to show my ineptitude more effectively.

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2018, 10:48:58 PM »
Sorry to Mike313, Les, Bryan for not thanking you earlier.

Anyway thank you all for the comments as well as John.

John it was someone else that gave it the name and as soon as he suggested it I could see that it indeed did look a little like a crucible