Author Topic: Health and safety assessments  (Read 3396 times)

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
Re: Health and safety assessments
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2018, 12:22:35 PM »
Graham you have to think that it is your members using it, now I do not wish to be pedantic and we know that everyone at home has a kettle but if during your meeting someone gets burnt by hot water could they then look up and say they were not aware that it was hot? The precautions for that may have already been done by the simple method of a sign that says "warning hot water". Or you may delegate someone as tea boy for the night thereby reducing the risk.
I am of the opinion that the whole world is stupid and if I am the H&S person I need to risk assess every eventuality. But I don't want to appear like the supposed teachers who ban conkers in the playground (you can play conkers at club meetings if you wish but you will need a seperate RA for that)but if you look at it and decide there is a hazard you should try to reduce the risks to your members, And don't forget we allhave a duty of care as far as H&S is concerned, ignorance is no excuse.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2018, 12:52:17 PM »
When it comes to h&S I am afraid we have to assume that people basically don't have common sense. OK daft but I am amused by the notice you get on some packs of peanuts that 'this pack may contain nuts' when peanuts aren't actually nuts but legumes like peas and beans.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2018, 09:58:09 AM »
Thank you John. I am done. :)
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?