Author Topic: Formula for cutting logs for bowl blanks.  (Read 2207 times)

Offline windfall

• copper
Formula for cutting logs for bowl blanks.
« on: January 29, 2019, 08:03:53 PM »
Is there a sort of formula for cutting logs into bowl blanks? I was thinking along the lines of width of log to length along the grain to optimise the use of the wood.
bodrighywood : If you are new to woodturning you will quickly realise that if you ask 10 woodturners a question you will get a minimum of 11 answers

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: Formula for cutting logs for bowl blanks.
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2019, 09:15:21 PM »
The full answer to your question would honestly fill a book.
The short answer is 'Don't cut a tree trunk into rings.'

Here is a quick picture to show how a log should be segmented to make blanks.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2019, 09:19:51 PM »
Have a look at THIS it may help with how to cut logs and the type of turning that you can get from logs

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2019, 05:06:37 AM »
It will depend on the function, For making bulk bowls for functional use then there are ways of extracting more bowls per log, both covered in the 2 answers above mine, but for making bowls that are singular and more form than function wood wastage is a part of the plan as you are only looking for the pattern you wish to portray. Straight grain efficiency in my opinion is best left for the industrial machine, hand turners excel when the chosen piece of timber is difficult, frustrating, and has a high risk of failure, best results are when only a fellow wood turner will understand how many  hours it took to achieve the apparent simplicity of the finished piece.
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline windfall

• copper
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2019, 06:53:42 AM »
Thanks for the help guys, I think I'll cut and stack it upright and seal the ends as advised in my other thread. Although my lathe is capable of handling huge bowls I'm no way near skilled enough to utilize it. Maybe in a year or two  I'll make good use of it.
bodrighywood : If you are new to woodturning you will quickly realise that if you ask 10 woodturners a question you will get a minimum of 11 answers

Offline onetruth

• iron
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2019, 11:14:27 PM »
Have a look at THIS it may help with how to cut logs and the type of turning that you can get from logs
Thanks for the link, these are really nice.  What book is it from?

Offline willstewart

• gold
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2019, 11:44:07 AM »
As a thought - logs are often 'green' (that is wet and undried).  You can turn them like this, though the resulting pieces will distort as they dry, sometimes quite a lot (can be a nice effect).  If you are going to keep the log to dry it may be a good idea to split it in two axially - this way it is less likely to split further.

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2019, 11:56:53 AM »

Not from a book, it is a PDF that I found  but I found it very useful when I started I even look at occasionally now

Offline Mark Hancock

• bronze
    • Mark Hancock
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2019, 10:09:28 AM »
It was published in a book called "Woodturning in North America Since 1930" in 2001. The book accompanied an exhibition of the same name curated by the Woodturning Centre and Yale University Art Gallery.

Offline windfall

• copper
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2019, 02:34:51 PM »
That's exactly what I was looking for thanks :)