Author Topic: Can I teach myself woodturning?  (Read 4232 times)

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
Re: Can I teach myself woodturning?
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2019, 11:19:54 AM »
You need 2 bits of heavy equipment, while not strictly required a substantial bandsaw is a handy piece of equipment for processing logs into turning blanks, and of course the lathe. A good fireplace is also handy as making fancy firewood is often the best way to learn.

A quick search of Spanish Ebay shows quite a lot of woodturning kit for sale, even with my abysmal translation skills. So I am sure you can find something within driving distance, which will save you substantial shipping costs.

I would save the Olive until you have practiced a bit, it's much easier to get chisel control on straight grained.

May be worth spending some time sorting out a spare room, especially this time of year, looks like there are several who will give a few hours teaching in exchange for escaping the cold for a few days :-)

TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2019, 11:46:21 AM »
Have you ever thought of taking a holiday here in the UK and while here go to one of the tutors available to take a 1 day or 2 days turning course?
You may even go home with some turning goodies while you are at it especially if you drive here rather than flying

Offline Cookster

• iron
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2019, 10:04:47 AM »
Thanks for your replies, I will check out spanish ebay, haven't got a bandsaw will look at that in the future, for now will be using my chainsaw, will be coming back to Norfolk towards the end of March beginning of April so will check out doing a training day then hopefully, can anyone recommend a turner in Norfolk?

Thanks Guys

Cookster

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2019, 08:05:42 PM »
You could get in touch with Darren Breeze, he is a Registered Professional Turner.