Author Topic: Table lamp  (Read 2037 times)

Offline Tony Kairo

• copper
Table lamp
« on: February 20, 2019, 05:50:50 PM »
My latest piece - A lamp around 12 inch x 6 open segments made from beech, purpleheart, leadwood and paduka 409 pieces in total apologies for the wonky photos

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: Table lamp
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2019, 06:55:02 PM »
This traditional form of segmented work simply doesn't appeal to me. However, that doesn't stop me appreciating the quality of the work that you guys bring to your craft.
Well done; hats off to you.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2019, 10:33:14 PM »
Like Les I  can appreciate the skill and work involved but not my sort of thing. Partly 'cos I haven't got the patience for all that measuring LOL.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Walnut Les

• bronze
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2019, 07:40:19 PM »
Well made Tony, I like the shape of this and I also appreciate all the time and work that you have put in to this.
The other Les

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2019, 05:05:20 PM »
Tony , you have done a wonderfull job with this , You must have the patience of a saint cutting placing glueing etc , Its very unique

Offline Tony Kairo

• copper
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2019, 10:44:51 PM »
Thank you for your comments - I just do one row a day and enjoy watching it grow. there's not much room for error when turning it as the more you shape it the less glue line you have, so very light cuts but I do enjoy it

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2019, 07:23:06 PM »
Tony like all the others here I appreciate the amount of work that you have put into this piece. I do a bit of segmenting myself so I understand the process you have gone through and potential pitfalls. However I am sorry to say that something on this jumps out at me, and I realise that everyone's designs are different but I feel that the join in the pattern between the open segments and the closed segments is not quite right, it feels almost like you needed another purpleheart segment to complete the pattern. As I say each piece is subjective and the rest looks to be very well made.
Please do not be offended by my comments.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2019, 08:08:55 PM »
Tony,

Looking a just the first photo, I'd have said the shape is wrong. But when you add the lampshade and see it as it should be seen, it works.

I think like everyone else, I am in awe of your patience in designing and putting this sort of work together. Well done.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!