Author Topic: What masking tape?  (Read 1475 times)

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
What masking tape?
« on: February 16, 2019, 05:56:43 PM »
I am planning a piece of work that will involve some different colours applied from a spray(either a can or air brush) but the colours will be touching each other and I want clean lines at the edge of each colour. So may questions is what masking tape do you use? and is there a thin tape for thin lines?
Many thanks.

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline Derek

• platinum
Re: What masking tape?
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2019, 06:46:42 PM »
I use the frog tape as well as the white masking tape to prevent the paint from creeping under the tape I spray the first colour let it dry apply the tape once it has dried then respray with the first colour by doing this I find that if it creeps it will not show again let this dry and lightly sand back before doing the next colour.

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2019, 08:46:20 PM »
Hi John,
There is a thin tape in different thicknesses for lines - just google fine line tape.

You might also want to look into frisket film. It's used for masking airbrush designs.  I use it for things like those Mondrian style platters and the multi-colour sunburst designs etc. You stick it on over the whole surface, mark out your design and cut with a scalpel the peel off the areas you want to spray. It can be stuck back again if you're careful so you can mask areas already sprayed.

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2019, 09:53:41 PM »
Thanks all for your replies, the frisket sounds the best idea for what I wish to do, thanks Paul.