Author Topic: Cleaning bark ?  (Read 2624 times)

Offline windfall

• copper
Cleaning bark ?
« on: February 19, 2019, 07:30:37 PM »
I'm in no way good enough to do a natural edge bowl but I am making tea lights from branches. I think the natural colors of the bark on some of branches is hidden by dirt and some green - moss. I was going to attack it with a sponge and some turps but I don't know if that's the best stuff to use. What do people use to do it ?
\Thanks
bodrighywood : If you are new to woodturning you will quickly realise that if you ask 10 woodturners a question you will get a minimum of 11 answers

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: Cleaning bark ?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2019, 07:56:45 PM »
I can quite understand wanting to clean any dirt off, but leave the moss and/or lichen in place. I use a stiff brush and lightly brush the bark, but in every  other respect, I want the bark to remain as natural as possible.

Les

p.s. ... I do hope that you're using liners to set your tea-lights in!
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Mike313

• gold
  • Ancora Imparo
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2019, 10:50:24 PM »
Might be better to wash it with something that's less flammable   :o

Offline windfall

• copper
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2019, 11:55:17 PM »
I can quite understand wanting to clean any dirt off, but leave the moss and/or lichen in place. I use a stiff brush and lightly brush the bark, but in every  other respect, I want the bark to remain as natural as possible.

Les

Wheres the fun in that lol !!!

Liners for me are quite expensive I would have to lay out £30 for 60 on Amazon, I'm still hunting for smaller quantities - the candles them-self come a in a metal dish with two creases running to the edges ,I was thinking that combined with scoring circles inside the bottom of the holder that should be enough to stop the wood setting on fire ?
bodrighywood : If you are new to woodturning you will quickly realise that if you ask 10 woodturners a question you will get a minimum of 11 answers

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2019, 12:40:50 AM »
The brass bristled suede shoe cleaning brushes, available from any shoe shop, or if you are brave enough probably the wife's shoe cleaning supplies cupboard  ;)

The bristles will get into the dirt  but are soft enough not to remove the bark.
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2019, 01:12:15 AM »

Liners for me are quite expensive I would have to lay out £30 for 60 on Amazon, I'm still hunting for smaller quantities - the candles them-self come a in a metal dish with two creases running to the edges ,I was thinking that combined with scoring circles inside the bottom of the holder that should be enough to stop the wood setting on fire ?

That is another can of worms opened.

Try Olivers woodturning for smaller quantities.

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2019, 01:19:36 AM »
These are even cheaper, and have a nice top edge that would look good sticking above the bark...

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/decoration/candles-candle-holders/v%C3%A4snas-tealight-holder-clear-glass-art-60259096/

TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2019, 07:58:17 AM »

Les

Wheres the fun in that lol !!!

You can get them cheaper than that if you look around. The aluminium sleeves are no protection at all. The melting point of wax in t lights is often higher than the combustible temoerature of the wood, Both I and others have seen the effect of using t lights and candles in bare wood and unless you have massive insurance and are prepared to take the risk it is not a good idea. Whether you are giving them away, selling them or making for your own use it is dangerous to put it simply and bad practice. As said Ed (Olivers Woodturning) had a load of them worth checking with him.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline windfall

• copper

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2019, 10:36:36 PM »
They are ideal. Make sure that the cavity for them is a 1ml or so bigger as they can jamb if the wood moves and being able to take them out to clean is a selling point. they also fit certain standard candles by the way, can't remember which but we use them for that as well.
Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline windfall

• copper
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2019, 12:08:17 AM »
They are ideal. Make sure that the cavity for them is a 1ml or so bigger as they can jamb if the wood moves and being able to take them out to clean is a selling point. they also fit certain standard candles by the way, can't remember which but we use them for that as well.
Pete

My stock is only 4" square so I have to work within that but I'll easily squeeze a 1mm gap around the edge, if i go into a production run I can bring the price down a lot for bulk buy's :)