Author Topic: Ring making  (Read 1932 times)

Offline AndyMac

• iron
Ring making
« on: March 21, 2019, 09:44:18 AM »
I am relatively new to the woodturning world. One of the things that I am interested in making is rings. I have been trying to track down a supplier of coloured acrylic or resin sheeting that I can use as an inner layer to the ring; to date, I have not been able to track anything down. Does anyone have any ideas?

Offline David Buskell

• gold
    • At The Cutting Edge
Re: Ring making
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2019, 11:19:00 AM »
There are a few suppliers of ring bands. For the outer I've used wood which works well. There are many suppliers of acrylic and resin but not sure about sheeting.
Perhaps some more info on what you are looking for might help us to help you?

If that fails, check out bangleguy.com for ideas.
David
At The Cutting Edge

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2019, 11:22:25 AM »
Normally you make wooden rings using a metal core but I suppose ypu could do it with resin though I don't know how strong that would be. Might be a case of casting a solid culinder and turning it out to size?

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline AndyMac

• iron
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2019, 11:51:23 AM »
Thank you for your feedback.

I have been looking at a method that uses a  layered wood veneer over a resin inner stabilised with CA glue. This is then turned to the final shape & design. The method of construction uses coloured resin sheet, which you cut and then shape into the ring inner. The veneer is then shaped around the inner and glued.

I have seen the acrylic pen blanks but they are too thick and I do not have the capacity to slice them into smaller sheets.

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2019, 01:43:34 PM »
I have seen the acrylic pen blanks but they are too thick and I do not have the capacity to slice them into smaller sheets.

It only takes a hacksaw!  ;)

I can't quite get my head round how you intend to use the acrylic, are you looking to bend it to finger size and glue it into the wood, in which case it would need to be very thin, as it will be putting spring pressure on a thin band of timber. Or are the sheets you are looking for the thickness of the ring to be turned and bored for finger size?

As mentioned above metal is the way forward, https://www.ringsupplies.co.uk try this as a start point.

Hope you find your solution. If not you could post a link to the process you want to use maybe someone could help find the solution.

TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline David Buskell

• gold
    • At The Cutting Edge
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2019, 02:44:35 PM »
AndyMac,

Might be an idea for you  to checkout the bangleguy.com website as they use metal cores for the bangles and then we cut infill to fit them, usually from a  square/round of resin.

Same approach can be applied to rings.

Just checked out the site. The timber they use has been stabilised with Cactus Juice, which makes them a lot stronger than ordinary resin.

David
David
At The Cutting Edge

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2019, 05:01:11 PM »
Have a look HERE for ring pieces also have a chat with people on THIS site as there are some on there that cast blanks

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2019, 08:55:42 AM »
Have a look at the corporate sponsors on this website, see GPS agencies.