Author Topic: Little & Large  (Read 2374 times)

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Little & Large
« on: March 30, 2019, 03:40:57 PM »
Part of stock building for the first show of the year in May. Both oak burred pieces, smallest is 17" x 10" approx and largest is roughly 26" diameter. Simply turned and polished.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Mike313

• gold
  • Ancora Imparo
Re: Little & Large
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2019, 05:09:41 PM »
I think these, and your recent similar work, look stunning. May I ask how you prepare the burr? Is it a case of slicing it into say 2" slices so that you have several different blanks? And if so, do you cut vertically or horizontally to the trunk?

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2019, 06:02:35 PM »
Hi Pete...have you done these since I visited? They have the balance of raw, natural edge and turned edge that lets the shape sing out, yet retains the natural, organic look. Good stuff!

How have you photographed them...I see no signs of support or background shadows?

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2019, 06:20:32 PM »
Les: They were in the workshop waiting to be finished off when you were here. They were photographed out on the benches and then I photoshopped the background out. I know cheating LOL.

Mike: These came in slabs not whole burrs. Be nice if they were a regular 2" thick but the big one varied between about 4" at a high point to 1" at its thinnest at one edge.  As burrs tend to have grain all over the place not following the normal ground to sky format and, apart from root burrs, are growths on the side of the trunk orientation isn't really aomething that comes into it as far as I have seen.

Pete

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2019, 06:56:15 PM »
I think these, and your recent similar work, look stunning. May I ask how you prepare the burr? Is it a case of slicing it into say 2" slices so that you have several different blanks? And if so, do you cut vertically or horizontally to the trunk?

Hi Mike313...it's worth forming a relationship with a saw-mill local to you. At the mill that I use, I visit when they are planking large oak trunks Every now and again, they plank a very irregularly shaped trunk, with burrs all over it. Their saw usually has to make a couple of passes, cutting the irregular shapes away before planking can commence properly. The last time this happened, I paid £50 for a big lump of burr and they threw in all the scraps....my Freelander was full to the roof for £50. If that's not a bargain, I don't know what is!
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2019, 07:04:37 PM »
The burrs are not really of any value to carpenters etc so they are sold for 'artistic' value. My local has sadly realised that there is value on them and started charging more for them. Still cheaper than your 'turners suppliers'

Pete

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2019, 08:19:24 PM »
The simplicity of the turning has done it's work here Pete, the wood is very capable of standing up for itself.

Will you mount them of stands or something for a wall mounting?
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2019, 09:21:30 PM »
Two very nice pieces and well worth the effort getting them. How will they be mounted clips to hang on a wall or will you make a base and support

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2019, 10:19:59 PM »
Thanks for the comments.

I make stands for them so they can be displayed at shows as they don't look anywhere near as impressive if just laid out like a platter or bowl and these go with the pieces. They could be wall hung but would need pretty sunstantial fitting on the larger one. That would be left up to the ciustomer.

Pete