Author Topic: Is Yew safe?  (Read 3240 times)

Offline Vestas

• copper
Is Yew safe?
« on: April 10, 2019, 08:05:52 PM »
I’ve been given several seasoned pieces of yew by a friend. I’ve been told it’s highly poisonous- is it safe to turn ? Safe for food contact ? Anyone know?

Online seventhdevil

• platinum
Re: Is Yew safe?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2019, 08:16:39 PM »
most people say that you should not use it for anything to do with food contact.

i say find me a reference to anyone who has become ill from exposure that was not an allergic reaction and i'll start listening to that argument.

as long as you don't eat the stuff or consume food or drink that has been saturating in the timber for weeks you will be fine.

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2019, 08:57:49 PM »
The leaves off the Yew Tree are highly toxic, and some of that probably is in the timber too. It is a wood I highly recommend you are double certain on your PPE when the dust is floating around you, but that is because the dust is very fine, as for transfer of toxins, probably best not to make wooden spoons or fish steamers with it, but I love it for making lamps, bowls not sold for eating out of and many other things, it is beautiful to turn (except the dust) and as long as you are certain to keep the heat down it has a wonderful finish.
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline Vestas

• copper
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2019, 09:52:27 PM »
Thanks all- will be careful with it. Pete I bought the jig for the grinder yesterday and I’ve had a go - I think it’s turned out ok on my new bowl gouge.

Offline willstewart

• gold
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2019, 02:25:47 PM »
Don't eat the shavings and use a mask to protect from the dust (but hey, you do that anyway, right? - all hardwood dust is carcinogenic).

A bowl for dry food should be coated anyway - I cannot see an issue unless the food is wet. So not good for a porridge bowl or goblet. And obviously avoid kids toys.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2019, 03:08:50 PM »
There is a record in some old manuscripts of druids apparently dying after drinking from chalices made of yew. The only part that doesn't contain toxin, taxine alkaloids,  is actually the pith of the seeds. Personally I am not prepared to take the chance of using it for anything that is likely to contaminate food, drink etc. Includes things like rolling pins, babies rattles etc. Steves argument (seventh devil) has some validation though the only wood that doesn't potentially contain a problem for someone somewhere is sycampore which has natural antibiotics. Bottom line use your common sense and don't take risks. Did you know for example that the only part of a cherry tree that isn't potentially poisonous is the fruit.  Can be quite serious and even fatal.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities