General Category > General Discussion

Turning tools availability

(1/4) > >>

Vestas:
Hi having just taken up turning I’m quickly realising what kit I need. I bought a set of RS turning tools but a bowl gouge wasn’t included.
I’m surprised to find there’s nowhere near me in Bristol that sells the tools! Considering there are shops for lots of other hobbies on every street - nothing !
Where can I get a gouge from ? I know yandles and Axminster an hour or more away - any other options ?

Twisted Trees:
Axminster Cardiff is probably closest, but my preference for choice is Yandles as they tend to have more to pick through. Makes it worth the hour drive to get there, my preference is for Robert Sorby tools, which they stock. but there is nobody that has a range of woodturning  bits you can pick through

Ashley Isles used to have an outlet but pretty sure that is online only these days. 

May be worth picking your day depending on what is on... https://www.yandles.co.uk/events or you are stuck with the online option (won't be legal to buy chisels by post if the current legislation passes).

bodrighywood:
Best bet is online. Just make sure you go fopr one of the reputable makes e.g. Sorby, Ashley Ilse, Hamlet, Crown etc. Pretty much all as good as one another thoiugh Record tend to have short handles. I buy them unhandles and make my own to suit. Alternativdely, if you know what you are buying there is a tool shop just up the road from the BRI that sells 2nd hand tools and I have seen wood turning tools in there, might be worth a look.

Pete

Twisted Trees:
Bristol Design is the second hand and antique toolshop by the BRI, love the place but never yet seen woodturning gouges that had any length left in them  :( still always something interesting in there though.

The Bowler Hatted Turner:

--- Quote from: Twisted Trees on April 08, 2019, 04:00:12 PM ---Axminster Cardiff is probably closest, but my preference for choice is Yandles as they tend to have more to pick through. Makes it worth the hour drive to get there, my preference is for Robert Sorby tools, which they stock. but there is nobody that has a range of woodturning  bits you can pick through

Ashley Isles used to have an outlet but pretty sure that is online only these days. 

May be worth picking your day depending on what is on... https://www.yandles.co.uk/events or you are stuck with the online option (won't be legal to buy chisels by post if the current legislation passes).

--- End quote ---
I have to question the comment about not being legal to buy woodturning tools by post, if you read through the legislation that is being suggested, and I have read every word of it, it will be illegal to buy them by post if you are under the age of 18. So those of us that are older should not be breaking the law.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version