General Category > General Discussion

monkey puzzle

(1/2) > >>

crazylegs:
I have just picked up a load of monkey puzzle. I know very little about it except it is oozing nasty sticky sap. What is the best thing to do with it regarding drying and storage. The logs range from 18" to about 24".

GBF:
Best turned wet

bodrighywood:
Just make sure your lathe, walls and you personally are well covered as the sap goes everywhere. Oh yes, there is a bit in the middle that will probably fall out and need to be filled at some point. Despite all that it is a lovely wood that has amazing features.

pete

fuzzyturns:
The nasty sticky sap is exclusively in the bark. It's best to remove the bark (wearing gloves) before doing anything else. Like most coniferous woods, monkey puzzle is not prone to cracking/checking. Compared to pine or spruce it is relatively hard, but not as hard as yew. There are some silicates in the wood, and they do have a distinct dulling effect on your tools, but overall it is of very even consistency.
The big exception are the knots. Monkey puzzle grows its branches at regular intervals along the trunk, and the branches form very even circles. This can be used to spectacular effect on end grain bowls or platters, but watch out: the branch knots are very dense and hard, much harder than the rest.
You turn it wet or dry, and there is very little movement in the wood. Pete is right about the pith: it is very soft and should either be avoided, soaked with CA glue or replaced.

Tim Pettigrew:
I had the good fortune to be taught how to turn an end grain Monkey Puzzle bowl  by Andrew Hall.  It was a blank I won in a turning club raffle. Andrew filmed my attempt and you can see it on his  You Tube Channel  HERE.  I can certainly endorse the comments about it being very hard - especially the knots!  It was great fun and I learnt a lot from Andrew.

Tim 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version