General Category > General Discussion

Bowl lathe

<< < (3/4) > >>

Les Symonds:

--- Quote from: Maca on May 02, 2019, 01:23:16 PM ---...my current chuck won't fit on the Viceroy lathe so I'll be selling the chuck with the lathe and buying a new chuck...

--- End quote ---
Have you considered just buying an appropriate insert?
Les

Mike Amphlett:
I got rid of my Viceroy because I could not find chucks to fit, in the end I found a suitable face plate and got a local engineering firm to make it into a back plate for my chuck, inserts just do not seem to be available. Face plates also seem to be as rare as hen's teeth and it doesn't help that the inboard and outboard threads are different. Once I started turning on it I didn't like it. The plinth is made of sheet steel and it rattled and was noisy. I replaced it with a Graduate configured for bowl turning. It was just a headstock with a 3ph motor when I bought it for £70 :). I already had an inverter and adapted a bed extension,  so all in I reckon it cost me £200.
I then went out and bought a long bed version for £300 well happy  ;D

Maca:
I contacted data power and asked for an insert but they said inserts for the sc4 chuck only go up to 1-1/4". The viceroy is 1-1/2". Axminster do a chuck with a 1-1/2"x8tpi but its £200.

JohnHewes:
I bought a Viceroy off of eBay about three years ago, then changed it to a short bed version of the same, and had a variable speed system fitted by local electrical engineers. This also allows for reversing the direction for a reading.
The short bed version has a tailstock which is essential for out of balance lumps.
I now have it raised on sleepers and braced to the wall, and it will turn big out of balance pieces. I can start very slowly to get them into balance and it will swing over 20” diameter.
It has cost about £800 in total.
I solved the problem of the mandrel size by machining the mandrel on my metal lathe, but this could be done by any engineering company, it’s not difficult, as long as the mandrel is trued up on the bearing faces. Then you can have whatever thread you want.
I love it!

Maca:
Did this on on the weekend.  Cherry, whole log, 10" across wings.  So it's not like my lathe can't do bowls but this was about capacity for it.  I haven't finished the bottom of it because this is turned wet I'm leaving it to move then I'll sand the bottom flat.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version