General Category > General Discussion

Remounting Jaws

(1/3) > >>

George:
Hi Everyone, I'm currently using the Record Power remounting jaws, however, they are restricted to a maximum of 600 rpm which I find a bit too slow especially when turning oak.  Does anyone know of any remounting jaws that can be used at a faster rpm.  Many thank -George

Twisted Trees:
The Axminster SK100 Button Jaws have a recommended maximum of 1000rpm, if you can get the tail stock in play then I do have a tendency to over speed these recommended maximums occasionally, obviously reducing the speed for the final bit where the tail stock is missing.

Like anything with live organic matter that can behave in unpredictable ways (both the wood and the person turning the lathe on!) it has to be a judgement call and the numbers quoted have to be safe in all expected combinations.

burywoodturners:
The Axminster jaws will not fit the Record/Nova chucks, something which annoys me as you need two sets of everything or stick to one make of chucRon

julcle:
Axminster used to make a set of Nova converter carriers so that Nova Jaws can be used on their Chucks. I am not sure if these are still available

Derek:

--- Quote from: julcle on May 14, 2019, 04:51:10 PM ---Axminster used to make a set of Nova converter carriers so that Nova Jaws can be used on their Chucks. I am not sure if these are still available

--- End quote ---

No, they don't that is why I have gone for a Versa chuck as they do carriers for a few manufacturers jaws. I use Axminster and Sorby jaws on mine.

When using cole jaws I tend to back up with the tailstock until the last little piece before removing the tailstock. I don't always go this route to clean the bottom depending what I am working on

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version