General Category > General Discussion

Myford ML8

(1/3) > >>

henry:
I'm new to woodturning but have just acquired an old Myford ML8 and have a few questions that hopefully someone familiar with the machine can help with.

It came with a faceplate attached on the outboard side. It's attached pretty firmly and I assume it's seized on (the outboard turning attachment needed a good dose of wd40 and a mallet to get it moving).

Should it simply twist off? If so am I right in thinking I should be turning it anticlockwise?

While trying to move the faceplate I noticed that the pulleys in the headstock are not securely attached. When I try and turn the faceplate with the lock pin engaged, the faceplate moves but the pulleys remain still.

I can see there are two bolts that can be tightened with an alan key. Should these just be tightened anywhere against the axis, or are there holes at a certain point that are meant to accept them. If so how do I know where they are as they're hidden by the pulleys?

Thanks

Henry

Paul Hannaby:
If the faceplate is on the outboard side, it will be a left hand thread so unscrew clockwise.

The pulleys should just be lined up with the corresponding one on the motor then tighten it up where it is. The grub screws just drive against the spindle.

henry:
Thanks.

Unfortunately I'm still getting slippage despite turning the grub screws pretty tight.

After a bit of googling I found this photo that shows flat sections on the spindle for the grub screws to push against.

http://www.lathes.co.uk/myfordwood/img8.jpg

Are these not present on all versions of the ML8? (mine's painted cream, which I believe marks it as an early model). Only way I can think of to find the right orientation is to take the spindle out, which is not an idea I'm keen on.

Are there any tips I should know for freeing a face plate? At the moment I can't apply much pressure due to the slippage. Are there other ways to lock the spindle?

Thanks again

Henry

Derek:
With reference to the pulley slipping, I am not sure but on a record lathe there are two grub screws on top of the other in effect the top one is a locking screw so take the grub screw out and look to see if this lathe employs the same method of holding it.

Twisted Trees:
If you are searching for a flat on a shaft, take out the grub screw
get something that won't break or scratch the shaft that fits in the hole plastic knitting needle  is great.
Rest your finger on the end and turn the shaft. If there is a keyway you will feel it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version