General Category > General Discussion

Cloth backed polishing rolls

<< < (2/2)

Twisted Trees:
Bottom line is it needs to be flexible, most turning sanding required a fold or 3, and quite often sanding around the bend so stiff backing is no good, he says attaching abrasive to thin plywood sticks! 

You will use twice as much of the starting grit as any of the median grits so it is not a bad idea to buy 10m of the first grit and 5m of the remainders, you will use 6x as much of the starting grit as the ultra-fine so consider buying 600+ in 1m lengths.

10m is quite a lot, so have a play with different ones before buying in bulk.

The Bowler Hatted Turner:
I buy 2" wide rolls about 50m long, intended for stainless steel but still works on wood.Look around some of your local trading estates or motorbike shops  as sometimes you can get it cheaper there that you can online.

Tim Pettigrew:
I get through masses of this cloth backed abrasive so buy in bulk in 50mm wide 25m length rolls.  A good source is Scott & Seargeant who supply it for 80, 100, 120, 150, 180, 220, 240, 280, 320, 400, 500, and 600 grit sizes.

Yes it does tear OK and I have made a customised dispenser which makes use of this property (details HERE)

Tim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version