General Category > General Discussion

What Finishes

<< < (2/2)

Cookster:
What's it like to work with anyone had any experience with olive wood?

Bryan Milham:
Yes, I've used it.
Under a sharp tool with a good bevel contact it cuts beautifully, and leave a great finish, because of the oil content.

But use cutting tools, not the new scraper systems to get a good 'off the tool' finish.

Oh, and by the way, we don't like you anymore, 3 tonnes of Olive wood for €200, jealous or what!

seventhdevil:

--- Quote from: Cookster on May 24, 2019, 05:42:49 PM ---What's it like to work with anyone had any experience with olive wood?

--- End quote ---

turns beautifully and finishes well. the trick is getting it dry with no splits but in all honesty it is often quite rustic looking anyway due to the bark inclusions and other flaws in the wood.

personally i'd love a main stem (12-14") if one was available as i'd rough it out and core the whole lot and seal the wood and leave to dry very slowly.

Cookster:
Thanks so much for your advice and tops, I have some biggish lumps from last year which are black I reckon around 2 years old and one guy in the village told me he has some massive pieces I said I want it for turning not burning! he said I could go and pick what I want and pay accordingly but that was cut this year probably feb/mar and would be kept outside the weather is really hot now and hardly any rain this winter, be a good idea to get it before it really gets hot and store it in my garage/workshop.

bodrighywood:
You import enough olive wood ypu could afford a really decent lathe plus  few extras.

Pete

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version