Author Topic: Food Allergy Walnut Oil  (Read 3952 times)

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
Re: Food Allergy Walnut Oil
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2019, 12:33:37 PM »
I also have chopping boards with no finish on them made from Sycamore which have been in use for several years and they are still doing their job. I just wet the wood to raise the grain  and re-sanded as the final treatment when I made them so they didn't go fluffy when they first got washed.

I think any of the liquid oils will need re-applying in the future because the wood will dry out in use so there is some merit in using a polymerising oil which is more likely to stay put on things like salad bowls where a finish improves the look.

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
Re: Food Allergy Walnut Oil
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2019, 01:41:16 PM »
Looks require a finish, function is often better without.

Several years ago I whittled out some wooden spoons from beech, it was one of those things where I was seduced into buying some carving sharp things, before realising I have no talent for sculpting humming birds  or ducks (they look the same when I carve them)

Anyway, I made some spoons, which are often used for stirring boiling stuff like gravey then chucked in the dishwasher been doing that for years,  lasted a lot longer than the humming duck / beaver hybrid did on the fire ;)
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)