General Category > General Discussion

Food Allergy Walnut Oil

<< < (2/4) > >>

michaelb:
I personally don't use it but one Professional turner I know recommends and even dips his bowls,  have found this link which gives a bit more http://www.leevalley.com/us/shopping/TechInfo.aspx?p=59385 makes interesting reading and advice. 

Derwent Woodturning club:
To add to the confusion, walnut oil is used in the kitchen and appears on the same supermarket shelves as the rest of the kitchen oils.
The problem with using so called food safe oils is that the customer will not have a bottle of that with which to refinish their salad bowl after it has been used a few times. This is one reason I use sunflower oil on my salad bowls but I am aware some people have had an averse reaction even to that oil.
I think if you looked long enough you would find someone with a reaction to anything and we can only go so far by telling the customer what has been used on each item, with a card or something, so they cannot come back later and say they hadn't been told.

bodrighywood:
You need to remember that when selling something you are liable and to be honest most people are not going to be aware of what oil you have used. If you tell them at the point of sale they may well have forgotten by the time they use it. Walnut oil is used in the kitchen but is on sale as such and so is obviously a nut oil. when selling you have to assume that common sense is in fact rare. Proof, someone complaining that a goblet that they bought from me split after outting through a dishwasher.,

Pete

Twisted Trees:
To be comparable to the food industry if there is a nut based oil (probably including Tung) or any seed based oil in your workshop, even if not specifically used on the item you should probably have an advisory MAY contain nut's.

With the current lack of common sense in this world, you should also have "Do not eat" for wooden fruits etc, and probably a "not dishwasher or open flame safe"  sticker as well.

Somebody out there somewhere is allergic to un-coated beech!

bodrighywood:
Technically all woods have a potential toxicity problem with the possible exception of sycamore which has natural anti-biotics I understand.
I do actually hand out a maintenance sheet with my goblets. It states

"Wooden goblets should last a lifetime if treated correctly. The goblets are coated with a finish that is both water and alcohol resistant for use but it is inadvisable to immerse the goblets in water for a prolonged length of time or leave overnight with liquid in it

It is not advisable to use the goblets for hot liquids as this can cause the wood to expand and possibly split.

To wash the inside swill briefly in warm soapy water after use and dry off immediately before putting away, do not leave to drain.

DO NOT PLACE IN A DISHWASHER![/i]
"
Pete

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version