General Category > General Discussion

Finishing options

(1/4) > >>

Vestas:
Hi all
Three months of turning and I’m loving it. The biggest issue I have is trying to obtain the “best” finish.
I’ve used cloth backed abrasive paper but now have moved to Abranet with 600 being the highest.
I’ve got Yorkshire grit too which helps with the final bit of surface prep. I keep heari
B of turners using 1200 grit - but of what? Paper - pads ? Can anyone tell me the best products they use please ?
Also Pete (twisted trees) generously gave me samples of a variety of polishes finishes etc - and I’ve accumulated a few from yandles axminster etc -I’m not sure which ones are best - I seem to keep getting small streaks in the finish :(
Also I’ve made up my own friction polish but wasn’t able to get hold of liquid shellac so bought French polish from B&Q which is pretty much total Shellac - anyone know where to get the “proper stuff”?

JollyJim:
Hi....

Mainly, I use whatever is to hand.... I don't follow any specific procedure
but I normally always finish with wet and dry 400 grit then 600 and then 1200.
I buy these from Tool Station, they are £2.62 for a pack of 10 and they
have always done the job I ask of them as well as lasting really well.
I normally apply sanding sealer with the 1200 and it does a good job of
sanding as well as keeping the dust down.

Regarding polish, I've used Briwax clear for a long time and been more than
pleased. However, I've just got some Chestnut Polish which I have'nt tried yet.

Hope that helps, best wishes - Jim

Vestas:
Thanks Jim
Do u wet the wet and dry?

JollyJim:
Hiya,

Mostly not, but if I do, it's only the 1200 when I put
some sanding sealer on, which works quite well although, I guess
you could 'wet' the wet and dry on any grade with, maybe
burnishing cream or something similar. I'm really at the
end of my knowledge here, hopefully, someone with more
experience might add something....I'm always willing
to learn.

Hope all goes well - best wishes, Jim

yashin57:
It really doesn't matter what grade of abrasive you use if you don't use it properly, There are countless turners who never go further than 240 grit - so I would suggest you spend lots of time practicing with the abrasives you opt for. After all, the abrasive is a cutting tool of sorts. A good piece of advice given to me is to hold the abrasive as lightly as possible, because pressing hard with it will only cause lines you will need to remove subsequently.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version