General Category > General Discussion

Finishing options

<< < (3/4) > >>

hughie:
For me the method of sanding is as important as the brand. Bare in mind every species has its challenges and one size doesnt necessarily fit all.

So what I have found is the use of inertia sanders as opposed to power or hand sanding produces a consistent high degree of finish. I use them for both internal and external sanding. The random orbital action produces a repeatable surface finish generally higher than the grit being used

Some I have bought many I have made. The DIY are to meet various needs and conditions, generally internal. All told my collection probably is around 15-20 sanders.

From here I can launch into the various favoured finishes. This can vary  due to where the items is going etc.

Vestas:

--- Quote from: hughie on June 07, 2019, 12:15:53 PM ---For me the method of sanding is as important as the brand. Bare in mind every species has its challenges and one size doesnt necessarily fit all.

So what I have found is the use of inertia sanders as opposed to power or hand sanding produces a consistent high degree of finish. I use them for both internal and external sanding. The random orbital action produces a repeatable surface finish generally higher than the grit being used

Some I have bought many I have made. The DIY are to meet various needs and conditions, generally internal. All told my collection probably is around 15-20 sanders.

Thanks for the advice
Can you recommend one to buy ? Are they Velcro backed discs ?
From here I can launch into the various favoured finishes. This can vary  due to where the items is going etc.

--- End quote ---

willstewart:
unpowered orbital sanders are good - and I would not normally go below 400 grit.  But this does depend on the wood.  Very dense fine woods, like box for example, can benefit from a finer grit, leaving a shiny finish even without a coating.  But if you finish with wax this will fill in the remaining matt from 400 anyway.  A few woods and pewter need much finer finishing, as do acrylic surfaces (from CA glue finishes for example, common on pens) and these use fine pads to 12,000 - which you can get as a set.

JollyJim:
Hi All,

I don't know what an unpowered orbital sander is. I'm guessing it's
just sandpaper on a wooden block....I'm quite prepared to
be wrong on this and look a total moron.......... perhaps someone
can enlighten me please, thanks

best wishes -  Jim

Derek:
Inertia sanders work on the rotation of the turned piece. I have the Simon Hope system and find it very good most of the time as there have been times I needed a different approach

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version