General Category > General Discussion

Catches with larger pieces

<< < (3/6) > >>

bodrighywood:
Have to agree with what has been said so far. There aren't many rules in wood turning but the ones there are are seriously important. NEVER EVER use a spindle roughing gouge on face work e.g. bowls. Never use tools made for bench work or pole lathe turning on an electrical lathe, Always wear some form of face and in particular eye protection. Always use sharp tools. I really think that you should get some form of tuition before you have a serious accident. I have had students who have been in your situation and ended up spending a lot of the time trying to break bad habits they had acquired. As an addendum, don't assume you can get tuition from YouTube. There is some great things there but also a lot of highly dangerous stuff in the name of wood turning.

Pete

Bryan Milham:
I also agree with George and Les.
But would go on to say that it is possible you are moving onto larger work too soon. Again I don't know what sizes you've been turning or are now trying to turn, but if the step change is too great, that may be part of your problem.

Vestas:
Thanks guys
I would say I didn’t use it on the face of the blank I was trying to clean up the side but I do see I was doing it wrong. It’s turned out really well now thankfully. Thanks again

Vestas:
https://www.flickr.com/people/181832396@N04/

Here’s what I’ve done recently - a long way to go but I’m enjoying it and learning lots!

The Bowler Hatted Turner:

--- Quote from: Vestas on June 04, 2019, 04:52:35 PM ---Thanks guys
I would say I didn’t use it on the face of the blank I was trying to clean up the side but I do see I was doing it wrong. It’s turned out really well now thankfully. Thanks again

--- End quote ---
Sorry to keep harping on about it Vestas but you should not use the spindle roughing gouge on any part of faceplate turning. If you want to clean up the side that should be done with the bowl gouge. Iy takes only a split second and then you could cut a tendon that will not allow you to turn for months or even ever again. My advice if you cannot afford professional tuition is join a club and get them to run a hands on evening.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version