General Category > General Discussion

Catches with larger pieces

<< < (5/6) > >>

Twisted Trees:
Don't worry Mike, we are woodturners inherently in favour of round things, so there is no naughty corner   ;D but you had the sense to ask, and got good answers. My trip to Finland has been cancelled so I hope to see you at the club 20th June, where you will learn even professional demonstrators get the occasional rebuke for unsafe practices.

I also got told about spindle roughing gouges quite memorably by one of the instructors at the mill 10 or so years ago, and I remembered, as you will!

I liked the pictures of your work, it's clear you are returning to turning rather than a novice.

The Bowler Hatted Turner:
Some time ago a woodturner whose name I never knew, decided to make a video demonstrating why you should not use a spindle roughing gouge on faceplate work. He had a rather serious catch that ended up with him bleeding all over the place, probably one of the best demontstrative videos ever made but completely stupid to try to do so.
From my time in the armed forces one of the first things you are told when starting to instruct others is "never demonstrate a wrong method or movement" I guess that chap learnt the lesson the hard way.

Vestas:

--- Quote from: Twisted Trees on June 05, 2019, 01:15:21 PM ---Don't worry Mike, we are woodturners inherently in favour of round things, so there is no naughty corner   ;D but you had the sense to ask, and got good answers. My trip to Finland has been cancelled so I hope to see you at the club 20th June, where you will learn even professional demonstrators get the occasional rebuke for unsafe practices.

I also got told about spindle roughing gouges quite memorably by one of the instructors at the mill 10 or so years ago, and I remembered, as you will!

I liked the pictures of your work, it's clear you are returning to turning rather than a novice.

--- End quote ---

Thanks Pete
I am loving the turning and each ones a challenge of sorts.
Thanks for the comments re my pics
It’s therapy !

Vestas:

--- Quote from: The Bowler Hatted Turner on June 05, 2019, 05:18:01 PM ---Some time ago a woodturner whose name I never knew, decided to make a video demonstrating why you should not use a spindle roughing gouge on faceplate work. He had a rather serious catch that ended up with him bleeding all over the place, probably one of the best demontstrative videos ever made but completely stupid to try to do so.
From my time in the armed forces one of the first things you are told when starting to instruct others is "never demonstrate a wrong method or movement" I guess that chap learnt the lesson the hard way.

--- End quote ---

I saw that video ! He ended up with a rather poorly finger ! Good advice !

burywoodturners:
Lots of people offer advice for you to join a club, as we do not know where in the country you live, your local club cannot offer you an invitation.
If you live anywhere near Bury St edmunds, our next club night id this coming Monday
Ron

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version