General Category > General Discussion

critiques

<< < (6/10) > >>

burywoodturners:

--- Quote from: Paul Hannaby on June 24, 2019, 05:53:29 PM ---I also discovered that the fastest way to end a discussion is to ask for a volunteer!  ;)

--- End quote ---
Thatwas me making two differtnt points.
Showing someone your work and getting no response at all can be disheartening at least.
Getting no response from asking for a volunteer is something I discovered years ago!
Ron

Bryan Milham:
Pete,

--- Quote from: bodrighywood on June 25, 2019, 04:58:19 PM ---Not sure about the work having to be by the poster. If claimed as such I agree but sometimes it is a case of showing an example? It should however be with the original makers permission if still alive.

--- End quote ---

I don't think you would post a picture of a piece and ask for C&C if it was not yours to start with, and I've never seen anyone do it, but thought I'd better cover that base anyway.

But a good point raised.

Twisted Trees:
 ;) See that exceptions list is growing.... I was wondering about adding "Be helpful" to the original three but figured it was generally covered, and elaborated by dr4g0nfly in his post.

The aim of critiques in my personal view is to encourage all turners who ask, to be better.  as Pete said 'Ooooh it's lovely' is not particularly helpful.

As for on here, it's very hard to get a real sense of the work in a picture so any critique is going to be a bit limited, but anything is better than nothing, and suggestions for improvements can only help raise the standard of all of us. Suppose I better put something in the gallery now :o

The Bowler Hatted Turner:
My comments on critiques or posting images of work are this:-
In the unlikely event that images of a 3rd party are posted  no form of critique is acceptable, that person did not post their own work so you shouldn't post it either.
If you post images of your own work you should expect a critique whether you want it or not, if you do not want your work talked about don't post images of it.
If you feel the need to comment on another person's work do so politely, an abrupt one or two word answer is not acceptable in actual fact it is downright rude.
If you are serious about critiqueing work ,for everything that is pointed out to be wrong a positive or constructive comment should be left. So for instance instead of just telling someone they have turned a dog bowl (which we have all done in the past)tell the person that you prefer to see a "nice continuous curve which in fact is easier to produce rather than flat bottomed straight sided work." And I have to disagree with burywoodturners, yes it is not nice to have a piece looked at with no comments left but the old saying of"if you cannot say something nice say nothing at all" should stand. Some pieces beg a comment and others do not warrant it. If a piece does not attract comments it is then up to the person that posted it to ask for them (and then brace themselves!!)
Above all else, politeness costs nothing, if you cannot be polite do not bother commenting.

Twisted Trees:
I am blaming you for today's dog bowl with the paper thin base....  fire will be lit tonight. ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version