General Category > General Discussion

critiques

<< < (8/10) > >>

Paul Hannaby:
I would prefer someone to post a photo of their work and request no critique than not to post at all so I think they should have the right to choose.

If you read the sub-heading for the gallery, it already says "please state if you require a constructive critique" and it has done so for several years! Obviously, virtually nobody seems to check if someone has asked for a critique before wading in!

Keep the suggestions coming...

Twisted Trees:

--- Quote from: Paul Hannaby on June 26, 2019, 11:55:30 PM ---I would prefer someone to post a photo of their work and request no critique than not to post at all so I think they should have the right to choose.

If you read the sub-heading for the gallery, it already says "please state if you require a constructive critique" and it has done so for several years! Obviously, virtually nobody seems to check if someone has asked for a critique before wading in!

Keep the suggestions coming...

--- End quote ---

I see what you are saying Paul, it would be a shame if say a new turner posted a picture with a flaw that could be corrected with some simple advice and none was offered, but they should have the right to post and not get comments.

I stand by my Honest, Fair, and Tactful simplified list with helpful getting wrapped up in fair.

I am capable of knocking out 100 production pieces that are visibly the same, I am also capable of creating a one off piece that is stunning original and pleasing, then there are days like today when all I do is create poorly patterned firewood.

I mostly like to look at the gallery for stealing design ideas, but if I critique in future I will double check it has been asked for, and try to be positive but honest. 

The Bowler Hatted Turner:
Twisted Trees yes they should have the right to post and not get comments but you know that in this day and age people will either not read or not adhere to the rule. I stand by my previous comments.

willstewart:
All good ideas - club comments from people who have held the piece are particularly helpful.

But my sixpence worth would focus on two ideas:-

1 - distinguish between the design and the fabrication. I tend to do experimental pieces that I may lack the skill to do as perfectly as I would like first time anyway, but I still welcome comments on whether more effort on this design is worthwhile!

2 - I have noticed since doing woodturning (I have done other woodwork for many years) that turners tend to place very great emphasis on fabrication details that matter little to final users.  We all (including me) tend to feel the centre of a bowl base for example, and some people worry a lot about chucking points being visible, even if they are just a nice neat depression in the base that the final user will think fine!  So perhaps selling is the best test - could AWGB do online auctions?!

Twisted Trees:
AWGB online auctions wouldn't work for two reasons.

* Woodturners homes are already full of turned items
* I along with many other turners are design thieves, we see it, touch it, then make our own version
I am not a professional turner, but I do like my workshop to be self funding. Most of what I sell is not artistic in any way, and I would have no desire to upload photo's of it here. I am giving my workshop a makeover at the moment, new extraction, new lathe, all new cabinets, 95% funded by crappy light pulls that take moments to make, use scraps, and sell by the truck load once you find the outlets.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version