General Category > General Discussion

critiques

<< < (2/10) > >>

Derek:
I for one enjoy having my work commented on whether I agree or not with the critique being given, most times others have seen something that I may have missed. I will give my thoughts on a piece and try to be mindful of the person to whom I am making the comment many here and on other forums I have got to know and know that I can be a bit harsher with them(not in a nasty way), but for those that I don't know I try to be a little more sensitive.
Sometimes I have to type out a comment more than once after reading it a few times as I am not always the best at putting things into the written word.
People have to realise that a comment on their piece is only the view of the person giving the critique.
I agree that you as a person giving the critique has to be aware of the person's capability whose work you are looking at.
I normally get roped in to judge at our club and am more than happy to discuss with members why I marked their piece the way I do.
I have like many have just put an "I like that" type of answer but only if I do like it. Sometimes I like a piece but have seen things that spoil the overall piece like finish and then I may start with something like "I like it, but for me xxx is wrong" in other words I like the design but have seen other things that have let the piece down"

Paul Hannaby:
Yes we could add a sticky to the top of the gallery with some guidelines on acceptable critique. I will see where this discussion goes - perhaps someone would like to draft a proposed guide for discussion?

Critiquing from a photo can only be limited to what you can see from the angle of the shot(s), which sometimes makes the job more difficult but generally, enough can be seen to at least give a feel for a piece and the overall shape.

BrianH, Nobody gets upset by the "gushers" but perhaps we can educate the "stabbers" so they approach the critique more sensitively rather than discouraging people from participating further!

michaelb:
My club has a week long exhibition over the bank holiday and has done so for many years, putting your turnings on show to the public is one of the best ways to judge how you are doing, and when someone pay to buy you piece you know you must be doing something right, I know the elation I got when some one paid £30.00 my first sale their critiquing must have wanted them to buy.
What is important is to give novice turners the encouragement to develop their skills and don't be  backward in exhibiting your confidence will grow .

As an aside over the last few years we have managed to raise £11,000 plus for the air ambulance through our exhibition 

willstewart:
I am sure most clubs (like mine Tudor Rose) have a table at each meeting for 'things made since last time' which is a source of excellent (& mostly sympathetic!) feedback.  Also of ideas of course.

Percy:
I don't have a local club close enough to me to get to very easily  - coupled with young kids and busy life in general making it tricky to attend evening events. The opportunity to post work on this forum for critique from other members is useful for me as a learning tool, and I have had a lot of helpful comments on ways I might improve or alter pieces in order to improve them.
I think we need to remember how impersonal the internet can be. For me, this means I often take a little extra care over anything I write to make sure my language is clear and helpful. It also means that I take any comments and critique made about my work with an allowance for some comments sometimes seeming a little curt or impolite. I guess this is the price we pay for communicating via typed messages on a web forum rather than face to face!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version