General Category > General Discussion

Tool Rack ideas wanted.

(1/3) > >>

Twisted Trees:
Hi

I have decided to rotate my lathe to be at 90 degrees to the wall, it used to be parallel to the wall and I have all my tools in a double row of holes in a set of 3x2's and reach over the lathe (obviously turning it off every time! ;))

But now I need something different, I know I have too many tools hanging up there, 32 gouges, skews, scrapers, swan neck etc. plus various MT2 tools along with the usual selection of calipers rulers and assorted chucks and jaws etc.

Already decided I am building a set of drawers with holders for the 4 chisels that are actually in use and drawers for the chucks and jaw sets that will stand between the lathe and the wall as a place to drop the tailstock onto.

I am looking for ideas for everything else, so if you have an ingenious solution for accessible tool storage please post photo's I have about 4' square of wall to use and I want it to look cool  :)

fuzzyturns:
This is probably not exactly what you are looking for, but maybe it'll give you some inspiration. I used to have a tool rack fixed to the wall, just like you described. In my new workshop that wasn't feasible, so I decided to build one I could wheel around and get out of the way. It normally stands at the opposite wall, to avoid any accidental cuts, and it holds quite a lot of tools. I have a few spare tools in various drawers, but this is my main rack. Happy to send details about construction etc.

Twisted Trees:
 Thank you,  I had considered the mobile cart approach,  but as I have wall space it would be better up off the floor, the idea I had last night is to use the hook in adjustable shelving racks, make 2 boards with the bottom one half drilled as handle pockets and the top one drilled through then cut into sections so they can be set at different heights.

I am going to rebuild all of my cabinets on wheels each sized for a machine on top so I can easily shuffle things around.

Derek:
I have three racks(because of easy handling) these are on French cleats I kept them simple but this has worked for me for as long as I have been turning.

Twisted Trees:
I like that design Derek, are the holes about 40mm?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version