General Category > General Discussion

Buffing system

<< < (2/5) > >>

John Plater:
In a previous existence of mine the buffing wheel was required to be fitted with significant extraction to pass muster for that very reason. Trouble was quite a few items got lost in it !
ATB John

Sandy:
Thanks John. Yes extraction's a must but shedding was excessive yesterday!

Hi Les, yes my thoughts too are that the (wax) mop just shouldn't breakdown like it has.  I can't remember if it looked like this before I put it on yesterday.  I've not used the system that much since new and haven't 'abused' it as far as I'm aware.  My wife bought it as a present for me while up at the November Harrogate show quite a few years ago.  I'm not sure who's stand it was but I'm pretty certain they have a stand each year.  This morning I've read through a previous post on this forum (including your input) regards Beall v Chestnut products (2014 I think?).  It was a very interesting thread with good comments and one poster gave The Polishing Shop as an alternative supplier too.   On a positive note, I've now read up about B, G and WDR grade mops, the materials and uses etc, so I'm more knowledgable now.

Don't know if The Toolpost' exhibit at Harrogate but they seem to be the only UK supplier.  Think I'll contact The Toolpost, get their opinions and see whether anyone else has reported such breakdown on Beall mops.

Thanks again to all that replied and I'll post if I find out any useful info.

bodrighywood:
I use the chestmut ones as well and thoiugh they do break down at first that soon stops. The ones you have look as though they are far too loosely woven

Pete

The Bowler Hatted Turner:
Sandy you have not said what speed you are running them at, perhaps a slightly lower speed may be of assistance here.

BrianH:
hi Sandy
in a previous life I wrote a couple a magazine articles using both the Toolpost and Chestnut systems, both from new. they both behaved as Pete mentioned, ditching threads for a while before settling down with little or no malting in the long term. I preferred the Chestnut version and have been using it ever since. I would hazard a guess that you are perhaps using the wheels at far too high a speed. If you are unable to distort the cotton wheels, considerably, as you polish they are, in my opinion spinning too fast. 

All the best
Brian

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version